3d simulation of extinct biomes

ftlcgi

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I didn't know that the Hunsrück slate has ammonites. Can you please direct me to some papers about that?

I didn't found much about them, i guess they are rare in Hunsrück slate

The first one i made Ivoites schindewolfi was sourced from this article, where it says it's from Hunsrück slate, also paleobiodb.org it's found nearby

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-reconstruction-of-Ivoites-schindewolfi-an-openly-coiled-ammonoid-from-the-Hunsrueck_fig3_331327103

Anetoceras arduennense and Mimagoniatites fecundus were found at Bundenbach in Emsian according to paleobiodb.org.

I searched for Ammonoidea and filtered for Emsian, then i searched for reconstructions and photos of the shell. 

edit:

i was planing to make another Hunsruck ammonite from this paper

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/345236641_3D-Analysis_of_a_non-planispiral_ammonoid_from_the_Hunsruck_Slate_natural_or_pathological_variation

Edited by ftlcgi
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again, sorry I haven't been on for a while! Remember, there were hooks on the tentacle, not suckers; this is the only reason we know they existed. Early ammonoids primarily lived in shallow water, and I don't think they had an aptychus. Instead, they likely had a "protohood", think smaller than a nautilus though. My art shows most of my research. The first picture is of Metabactrites, generally accepted as the earliest known ammonoid due to its ventral siphuncle and its complete worl. The second picture is of Koenenites, an agoniatite. I would use it as a model; almost all of the soft tissue shown is accounted for in fossils, though all of them true ammonites. It would be important to remember, though, that Koenenites was a fast moving predator and the ammonoid you chose to reconstruct would have been much slower.

71514851_MetabactritesValentinesday.thumb.png.e73b05f6f18114601a9594b14bcb82d8.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.fff4c16ed67ce3f411b54ad12e1ebd9e.jpeg

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life
  • I found this Informative 1

sorry for all the critiques... the tentacles are ventral, with only to arms between them, at least in modern coleoids. This is also an error on my reconstruction, too.

7 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

sorry for all the critiques... the tentacles are ventral, with only to arms between them, at least in modern coleoids. This is also an error on my reconstruction, too.

Thanks for the advice, i don't mind fixing any incorrect features, my models are made so they can be edited easy so please share any critique, in fact that's why i'm posting here.

edit: i'm adding the fixes to this model and i'l update the other ones at the end

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

More fauna from the Hunsrück Slate, Lunaspis was a small placoderm

Conularia, a cnidarian

Choia, this porifer was also part of the Cambrian fauna

Protospongia, another porifer, i'n not so sure about the shape, i might have to change it later

Fenestella (Briozoa), a very basic model, it was small and there's no need for a lot of detail

Hydnoceras, this porifer was not found until later in the Devonian, it's part of another biome but i though it looked interesting

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

Even more Hunsrück Slate fauna, i'm still working on the models so check back soon for updates

Odontochile rhenanus

Schinderhannes bartelsi, is a radiodont, similar to Anomalocaris from Cambrian period

A biluminescent ammonite, it is possible that some were capable of bioluminescence but there is no evidence from what i know

Retifungus rudens, a small sponge

Monograptus, graptolites are colonial animals, they are not present in Hunsrück Slate but were found all over the world at that time
Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

Wow! Your models just keep getting better! I have also been reconstructing radiodonts recently... Here is my reconstruction of Lenisicaris pennsylvanica (Anomalocaris pennsylvanica), and Eldredgeops. The effects for the bioluminescent ammonoid are stunning... I wish I could model like you!

2025332306_Lenisicarispennsylvanicareconstruction.thumb.png.1ffad13e8d66a3befb40ecc992eb86cc.png1134616793_Eldredgeopsranareconstruction.thumb.png.3e597f21b0a095b95f5f0d8597acefa3.png

• Enjoyed 2

• 1 month later...

More Hunsrück Slate fauna

Scutellum, is my first attempt at animating a trilobite, i'l keep adding more animations to it

This is basic Crinoid anatomy, it shows some some exaggerated features so they can be easily recognized, there were a huge number of species found at Bunderbach and i would like to make as many as possible, and especially the weird and wonderfull crinoid gardens of the devonian.

Hunsrück Slate had some dry land areas to, and Trimerophyton was a common plant in Emsian and it was present at Bunderbach

Sawdonia, was also found at Bunderbach and a common plant then

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 2

:trilosurprise:   I'm stunned. Speechless. In awe. 

:trilowalk:

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Wow! Your ammonoids just keep getting better! What's next?

2 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

Wow! Your ammonoids just keep getting better! What's next?

Thank you, i'm working on a Comura trilobite and a Camerata crinoid right now but i'm planning to make a Bactritid to for the next post but i can't find much info on them

Edited by ftlcgi

I just use phylogenetic bracketing- my reconstruction is on the gallery on my website. The color patterns are based on those of close relatives.

Latest Hunsrück Slate fauna, the models are rough sketches and not yet textured or animated so check back in few days for updates

Camerate crinoids

Comura trilobite

There was some Bactritids relevant to my project from the genus Pseudobactrites but i can't find any source material yet.

Taeniocrada, reconstructed from bits an pieces, it's unclear if it was a land plant or aquatic

Pyrgocystis was an echinoderm similar to crinoids, the stem has a scale like pattern

Medusaster

Adelophthalmus, a small eurypterid, i think it's going to look great animated

• Enjoyed 2

I would be rather interested in how you are getting lots of this colour and patterns from very old specimen.

Also, a note on your placoderm reconstructions, from @archaeoraptor on our favourite bird-themed social media, who since removed their account.

1. 1.thumb.png.9b7dc6a8cfeef33ed3559a4d4c048357.png
  2. 2.thumb.png.aa443f478b6f932a21349106ab99645d.png
  3. 3.thumb.png.80c748f0b89fd6ce204e058a3911c594.png
  4. 4.thumb.png.75425f4746eb6e39db7d1e2bbd766896.png
  5. 5.thumb.png.538fdb44c0234556a1b552b117449687.png
  6. 6.thumb.png.05b3745fd4f43d6d1b8cae8c1cf884ed.png 
  7. 7.thumb.png.3ee6de99833ed11c3cd0722d42152113.png
  8. 8.thumb.png.1789f06675d2098b35305e1296832756.png
  9. 9.thumb.png.713bc9ff710ec2ecef1ffc84678d9126.png
  10. 10.thumb.png.abffdee3edb9db6fb73a86623ee8af39.png

Isaac

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

4 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Also, a note on your placoderm reconstructions, from @archaeoraptor on our favourite bird-themed social media, who since removed their account.

I've heard some tips on how to draw it but i had no ideea about most of these, like the ray fins

In my rush to "get thins done" i was drawing them based on what i saw in others, i used to make plants and trees completly wrong based on absolete reconstructions only to start again from scratch after i found a better resource. Recently i'm learned how to filter my resources and use more reconstructions from papers instead of photos

I read about the ideea that it had lips and in the latest model i added this fix but some issue with the animation is preventing the mouth from closing completly

The first model looked like this and it was based only what other reconstructions

folder.JPG.c7661ac5c49910221c4a39a01ee1eaf3.JPG

Another thing i tried to do. I placed a museum 3d scan in the scene and i tried to shape the head based on that skull

link of the scan here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/dunkleosteus-terrelli-nhmw-geo-2000z00760001a-ca9f6984180d4cf5b169f4cd0348910f

11.jpg.33e4a38e36dd0c9bae442aae1dfef66e.jpg

Maybe the fossil was flattened somehow but the head turned out very wide compared to other reconstructions

Capture.JPG.3ace5153ceda364309a44ee0e88c001f.JPG

Thank you for the info, i'l ad the changes soon

I'm trying to draw these animals as acurate a possible, and the extra details that i need to "fill in" i would prefer to be based on normal animals,

The body shape of a dunkleosteus based on a shark seems better.

I had no ideea that Groenlandaspis was red, i just searched wikipedia and found this:

Groenlandaspis is unusual among placoderms in that it is known what color it was; preserved pigment cells in its fossils indicate that its posterior was red and its anterior was silvery-white in a countershaded pattern, camouflaging it in the murky, silty waters of the rivers in which it dwelled

I'm going to update it aswell

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, ftlcgi said:

I've heard some tips on how to draw it but i had no ideea about most of these, like the ray fins

In my rush to "get thins done" i was drawing them based on what i saw in others, i used to make plants and trees completly wrong based on absolete reconstructions only to start again from scratch after i found a better resource. Recently i'm learned how to filter my resources and use more reconstructions from papers instead of photos

I read about the ideea that it had lips and in the latest model i added this fix but some issue with the animation is preventing the mouth from closing completly

The first model looked like this and it was based only what other reconstructions

folder.JPG.c7661ac5c49910221c4a39a01ee1eaf3.JPG

Another thing i tried to do. I placed a museum 3d scan in the scene and i tried to shape the head based on that skull

link of the scan here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/dunkleosteus-terrelli-nhmw-geo-2000z00760001a-ca9f6984180d4cf5b169f4cd0348910f

11.jpg.33e4a38e36dd0c9bae442aae1dfef66e.jpg

Maybe the fossil was flattened somehow but the head turned out very wide compared to other reconstructions

Capture.JPG.3ace5153ceda364309a44ee0e88c001f.JPG

Thank you for the info, i'l ad the changes soon

I'm trying to draw these animals as acurate a possible, and the extra details that i need to "fill in" i would prefer to be based on normal animals,

The body shape of a dunkleosteus based on a shark seems better.

I had no ideea that Groenlandaspis was red, i just searched wikipedia and found this:

I'm going to update it aswell

Awesome sauce! Yeah, a lot of work goes into modern reconstructions, it's pretty awesome! Shrink-wrapping skin onto animals at the best of times is considered to be inaccurate, unless you've found a reputable source that says it is true! The body likes to have flesh around as a bit of armour / padding... ;)

Lots of other 3D models and scans of fossils can be found on the websites detailed by this link, I have experience with using GB3D before, and it is very reliable! https://www.idigfossils.org/open-source-3d-models/

• Enjoyed 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

great collection of scans especialy the GB3D Type Fossils Online, i've used some trilobite and brachiopod scans to draw mine

You can make photogrametry scans with Agisoft from turntable videos that you can find on youtube :)) the results are not good enough for a print but are more than enough for a reference, this is extracted from a youtube video showing Comura

2.JPG.a389f70d1d5db6d68e00e6bac985d456.JPG

1.JPG.141a0aa389e3948167afea0ef4fbfcc0.JPG

Looks even better with textures, now it's very easy to draw a low poly model by folowing contours

3.JPG.5f6bbb39081659af878d83438c68d26f.JPG

Edited by ftlcgi

1 minute ago, ftlcgi said:

great collection of scans especialy the GB3D Type Fossils Online, i've used some trilobite and brachiopod scans and  to draw mine

You can make photogrametry scans with Agisoft from turntable videos that you can find on youtube :)) the results are not good enough for a print but are more than enough for a reference, this is extracted from a youtube video showing Comura

2.JPG.a389f70d1d5db6d68e00e6bac985d456.JPG

1.JPG.141a0aa389e3948167afea0ef4fbfcc0.JPG

Looks even better with textures, now it's very easy to draw a low poly model by folowing contours

3.JPG.5f6bbb39081659af878d83438c68d26f.JPG

Now that is impressive! Thanks for the software share, I'll look into that!

3 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Now that is impressive! Thanks for the software share, I'll look into that!

It's nice but don't expect to much, it's not like you can convert a video into a 3d model. The technique is good enough to get some aproximate scale and measurments from the source that can help you draw the model, but the photoscan result is not going to look good enough to keep like a normal photoscan, for that you need high resolution photos made with a camera of a real object.

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know all of that about Dunkleosteus! I only knew about the dorsal fins. Yes, it is true we  have color patterns from specimens this old- here is a beautiful example. I have used the information in this for many reconstructions, especially plate I.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/48186/ID023.pdf;sequence=2

6 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

I didn't know all of that about Dunkleosteus! I only knew about the dorsal fins. Yes, it is true we  have color patterns from specimens this old- here is a beautiful example. I have used the information in this for many reconstructions, especially plate I.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/48186/ID023.pdf;sequence=2

Comparative analysis of trophic niches from modern times, or better known prehistoric species, is a very helpful mistress. I also tend to stray away from mimicking other reconstructions that aren't backed up by science; you can see many inaccurate trends in palaeoart - for example: non-feathered coelurosaurs, naked pterosaurs (on the whole), shrink-wrapped fish and other bony creatures (incl. dinosaurs, very frequently!), dinos always holding their mouths open, extreme aggression present at all times (just... why? beautiful art of natural, peaceful dinosaurs is good too - they weren't bloodthirsty demons with evil looks in their eyes - just a part of the ecosystem, like you and me!)...