3d simulation of extinct biomes

ftlcgi

These renders look great!

Didn't Eurypterids also have gnathobases on their leg bases?

Early Devonian stylonurine eurypterids from Arctic Canada

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life

I updated the Erieopterus model with the corrected legs, i remade the legs with details from similar eurypterids

HighresScreenshot000022.thumb.png.25095c4d3364253a85953e1c8632a651.png

I tried to recreate the scene from this painting of eurypterids with similar models i made, i didn't posed them like in the original becouse most of my models are not yet rigged

800px-The_Eurypterida_of_New_York_figure_np_1.jpg.eda1fae80fb332ce5c50b72dc051bcb9.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Eurypterida_of_New_York_figure_np_1.jpg

HighresScreenshot00002.thumb.png.9e6401be89d9df89249e75b938412602.png

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 6

Moselopterus - it's going to be the last eurypterid made for the Hunsrück Slate biome, i think i made all of them.

I found very little info on this eurypterid, most of the details are based on Stoermeropterus, which is very similar

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261064694_The_eurypterid_Stoermeropterus_conicus_from_the_lower_Silurian_of_the_Pentland_Hills_Scotland

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

Looking really good! Never seen such realistic looking Eurypterid models! I was recently researching polychaete worms and it seems they were really common in these environments, especially the eunicids. This group had complex jaws that they used to feed and dig long burows that they would shoot out of at great speed to snap up unsuspecting prey. They would be important to add if you're going for completeness, though it might be tricky since they're not studied a lot and overlooked in many places. Their jaws are called scolecodonts, each complete jaw apparatus being composed of many different teeth. Traditionally each kind of tooth was thought to be its own genus, but not many are being put together into the organism they belonged to.

1 minute ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

the organism they belonged to.

Or, rather, the one we believe they belong to, at this moment... ;)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

We have found many teeth together, making it possible to condense many genera into one, though it is still a hard job!

4 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

I was recently researching polychaete worms and it seems they were really common in these environments, especially the eunicids.

I would like to have the biomes as complete as possible, i can see in paleobiodb.org there are only Spirorbis polychaetes at that time in Germany, i haven't looked in other databases. I'l do a bit of research on this.

Meanwhile i'm having a hard time making the giant beaver not looking like a giant rat

Capture.thumb.PNG.bc1cd982b5d89ae0f8424d50bab57363.PNG

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/trogontherium-dacicum-wip-a35dcb6843bf4cff834ace86e2e06cd6

18 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

I would make the hair more course, like the modern beaver.

There are settings for that but i don't know how to do it right now, this is my first attempt at making particle fur and it might take a while untill i learn how to make it look more realistic, i managed to use a texture that controls the hair color wich is nice

untitled.thumb.png.6702f222fa4a5dfa2c66c4887796edef.png

• Enjoyed 1

It looks a lot less like a rat and a lot more like a beaver with color.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

I was recently researching polychaete worms and it seems they were really common in these environments

The most common polychaete is Spirorbis and is found in the same site as most of the eurypterids, this is a simple model based on the extant ones

Edited by ftlcgi

This article describes an eunicid (Bobbit worm) found in canada, it makes sense that they were all over the place

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313863716_Earth's_oldest_'Bobbit_worm'_-_Gigantism_in_a_Devonian_eunicidan_polychaete

This is a rough approximation of a bobbit worm's head comming out of the sand, it still needs some work, the jaws are not the same as the fossil remains but it's a start.

It's popular in recent paleoart to, the article below has a nice looking reconstruction

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/discoveries/discoveries/the-terrifying-bobbit-worm-has-a-huge-ancient-cousin/

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 1

I've been drawind crinoids as plants becouse they are similar in shape and it's easy to control all the small hairs proceduraly and also the vertex animations used for the wind were easy to adjust to look like underwater movement (i used this in the videos)  but that vertex animation is limited in a lot of ways, i can't upload it to sketchfab and i was unable to animate the opening and closing of the crinoid arms, it was hard to even texture them.

So i'm starting to animate them using bones (like a animal), it should be easy to improve my other unfinished crinoids using this method

Cupressocrinites, i'm using it as an animation example to show the opening and closing animation of  the arms

The pinnules could be made using the hair system, this is just an exagerated example i'l post an in game render after i get it right.
untitled.thumb.png.83fbd3fb6587cc6aa11ebb3220490643.png

Ammonicrinus, this crinoid has a different tactic for defense, it rolls it's thick stem to protect the calyx, it's not yet animated

Gosslingia breconensis, is a plant found in the emsian of Germany

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 2

I've used this paper to make the correct shape for the devonian bobbit worm's jaws

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313863716_Earth's_oldest_'Bobbit_worm'_-_Gigantism_in_a_Devonian_eunicidan_polychaete

- the article shows 3d views of each jaw segment, that helped me get the correct shape and size

- the second picture shows how they would look like when they are retracted inside the mouth

- and the third it's just my guess on how they must have been placed

1.thumb.jpg.a470ce6e9a0524bcaacc19e9f99a25cc.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Wow! big changes. I like the Websteroprion; I think you must be the first person to model it online.

If you haven't seen this paper it may come in very helpful on the Ammonicrinus

https://bioone.org/journals/acta-palaeontologica-polonica/volume-56/issue-3/app.2010.0020/Revision-of-the-Flexible-Crinoid-Genus-Ammonicrinus-and-a-New/10.4202/app.2010.0020.full

The mouth parts in the Websteroprion paper do not represent the entire mechanism; here is an example of a reconstruction of a complete set. At least in PA there were eunicids with fused maxillae, the blue plates on the bottom.

Reconstructions of the eulabidognath (Family Paulinitidae) and labidognath (Family Polychaetaspidae) jaw apparatuses (modified from Kielan-Jaworowska 1966). Only jaws belonging to these families (indicated by ovals in the range chart) were obtained from the Plabutsch Formation, the stratigraphic range of which is indicated by the horizontal bar.

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life

12 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

If you haven't seen this paper it may come in very helpful on the Ammonicrinus

I didn't know about it, i was going to look for more resources to make the crown, it will help me a lot.

20 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

The mouth parts in the Websteroprion paper do not represent the entire mechanism;

Interesting paper, these scolecodonts were found in the late emsian in austria, much closer to germany than Websteroprion, after i finish it i can use it as a template to make some of these.

I got the jaws wrong, the smaller jaws (MII) should be behind the longer (MI).

Thank you, your tips are a real help

I've worked a bit on the pleistocene desman (Desmana radulescui) it was found at the same site as the mammoth, it's made after the only living desman species Desmana moschata. It's rigged and i've tested some animations but it needs work in the future to make it look more natural.

3.thumb.png.5549290202bdf5f7e11a54cafddc6bca.png

HighresScreenshot00000.thumb.png.21708dfb4354a3f454076550602e4b68.png

HighresScreenshot00001.thumb.png.b441f74ad982c7930337323472f4e2bb.png

This background is not made by me, i used this assets: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/broadleaf-forest-collection

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

There are few species of vole found at the pleistocene site

Mimomys, it is believed that one of the many species belonging to this genus gave rise to the modern water voles (Arvicola)

3.thumb.png.f127b6e974398582a7a3b1cb130d3577.png

Sometimes the fur looks different when it's exported in unreal engine

HighresScreenshot00001.png.eb9b7a15a2cc6ce395869388974b24d6.png

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...