orangebuccaneer

Sayerville Nj Amber

orangebuccaneer

Hey are there still chances to get amber in sayerville nj any help anyone want to plan a trip

lordpiney

ive heard that the site is now closed, but i havent been up there to verify this for myself.

Just Bob

I also heard that the site was closed. But I can not confirmed this.

orangebuccaneer

thanks guys im gonna try anyway in the spring

Placoderms

I know somone who collected NJ Amber a couple of times in the last 2 years. They mentioned something about the holes not being there the first time they visited last year (and couldn't collect) but the second visit months later was profitable.

All second hand so take it or leave it...

lordpiney

well make sure you let us know when your coming down, and if it's a bust i can put you on some cretaceous fossils in the creeks not too far from there.

orangebuccaneer

thanks LP...Yeah i think like any good explorer im gonna have to to just go and find out myself all research shows that i may be able to sneak in..but im doing it anyway...probably march middle...when the sbnow melts...hay let me know about those spots befoer hand so i can plan my tyrip with those as well. where are you from you seem pretty seasoned and your name fits your look.

lordpiney

thanks(i think)lol. seasoned is one way to describe me i suppose. im from south jersey. i grew up in the pine barrens, hence the name. i talked to a friend last night who's done quite alot of digging at sayreville. he says go for it. you pm me when your ready to come on down, and i'll give you all the details you need to have a successful hunt. :D

orangebuccaneer

thanks...you look like a lord of something

Taxman56

Phil do you have a top hat. I think one would awesome on you in that picture. It also may explain how you pull those fantastic finds out of thin air.

lordpiney

lol...i might have a pic of me in a top hat somewhere john. if i do, i'll post it here.

lordpiney

well...it's not a top hat, but it's close!

post-1676-12671742180456_thumb.jpg

Taxman56

HA HA HA HA HA Thanks Phil Wear that on our next trip and keep me laughing like that And I'll never be able to see anything on the ground.

Just Bob

Sweet hat Phil, where can I find one of them. :P

lordpiney

thanks bob...michaels or a.c.more. i forget which one exactly.

Amberguy

ya i live in sayerville and i ride my bike to the amber pit on the weekends and some times on weekdays.whell i was down there today july 10,2010 and in this 12 or 13 foot hole "the biggest hole there" and i found some very good size pieces one was a inch long and like a 1/2 inch wide to this date this is the biggest piece i have ever found. it is very easy to find tyhis stuff if you know where to look and if you have the right tools "shovel and a trowl will work" if any one has any questions about how to do this reply to jesseZ8394@aol.com and if i have time i'll get back to you

here are the pics of what i got today

post-3618-072175900 1278803663_thumb.jpg

orangebuccaneer

hey i would love to meet up and dig i would prob go on a sunday though

FossilBurgers

Went to Sayreville last weekend, the pits were nice and there is nobody there. The deeper pits were full of water so we couldn't check them. The amber we found was mostly just above the edges of the water or near the places where puddles were. There were little pieces of amber all over, some of it tough to recognize it was so covered with mud. We found dozens of pieces, but only maybe one or two pieces larger than a pinhead, almost everything was tiny. I doubt we'll go back...

The directions here still work:

http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/trips/amber.htm

We just parked on Lakeview Drive and walked across the train tracks, then hiked a bit of a way into the fields to where there were a couple of clearings with a couple of pits and mud and clay and stuff. We did not see anyone there.

Brought the kids on this one (age 7 and 9), they were not much interested in the amber, but they had a great time playing in the clay/mud and got very dirty.

njdigger

New to this forum. The names Matt and im 18. I was out at the sayerville amber pits couple months ago. Dug some pretty deep wholes and got down to that layer. Found many small peices. Couple decent size ones. I was actually thinking about heading over there today with my buddy to see what's going on over there.

Vordigern

good luck!

ladybug

anybody planning a trip to Sayreville? I live in Fords...no more than 10 minutes away, if that. Send me email anytime. Thanks a

bunch

vhlaxman

Anybody here who will plan a trip. Maybe we can do a group hike.

Darwin Ahoy

It will be a while before the snow is gone haha.

orangebuccaneer

I am planning a trip for june or july here and making some time for sharks teeth as well..if anyone is interested

vhlaxman

i would be interested in joining you will pm you.