Tooth - Big Brook, NJ

JoetheJerseyGuy

Tooth from Big Brook, NJ. Covered in hard sediment needed to be cleaned, only the tip was exposed. Found 4 inches down in the stream bed.

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8536.jpeg

IMG_8535.jpeg

Edited by JoetheJerseyGuy
spelling
  • Enjoyed 1

Looks like a reptile tooth of some kind and the options in the brooks consist of mosasaur, croc and plesiosaur. I kind of get a croc vibe from this but I'm not too sure.

@Trevor @The Jersey Devil

Edited by PaleoNoel
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

the elliptical basal cavity is more typical of mosasaur but couldn't say it was that or croc for sure.

• Enjoyed 1

Haven't seen enough of them myself to be sure. @PaleoNoel tagged who I would ask.  I am leaning croc, but the root end being broken off at an angle is throwing me

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I don't see enamel, so I am thinking claw core . . . as in turtle claw with damage.

A lot of the teeth from the brooks are highly worn which may be why you don't see the luster of enamel & appearance is consistent with other reptile teeth I've seen & found from that area. It has carinae and striations so I'm pretty positive it's a tooth.

• I Agree 2

can you get a shot looking down on the tip so we can see that cross section?

• I Agree 1

Those new pictures are good - can you confirm it doesn't have any well- defined cutting edges? I'm thinking croc

@frankh8147 See new picture there is a defined edge running along the black line. Noticeable to the touch and may be more visible in this photo.

IMG_8633.jpeg

2 hours ago, JoetheJerseyGuy said:

@frankh8147 See new picture there is a defined edge running along the black line. Noticeable to the touch and may be more visible in this photo.

IMG_8633.jpeg

Thanks! I thought I saw that in one of your easier pictures too. It's a weird tooth; I'm still leaning towards croc but it's a tough call! Isolated reptile teeth can be really, really tough to identify...

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Agreed with the other; looks croc! Nice find! :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1