Which locality near the Calvert Cliffs is the most productive?

giftedsifrhippus

I’ve never been collecting in the Chesapeake Bay before and am gonna visit the area soon during low tide. Which locality (beach, site) produces a good quantity and diversity of fossils. I’m not fixated on finding big megalodon teeth. I’d love to find a nice *Ecophora* and maybe some dolphin teeth. Species diversity would be nice.

There aren’t really any public beaches that meet all of those standards. For quantity, the only really productive beaches are Purse state park and Douglas point, but those from the Paleocene, so you wouldn’t find any of the Miocene specific (Ecphora & Dolphin teeth for you) species you’d want & 90% of what you’ll find there are Sand Tigers, so not incredibly diverse. For the Ecphora, Matoaka Cottages would be the best bet considering most of what you find there are invertebrates, so you won’t find many shark teeth and probably won’t find a dolphin tooth. Though Matoaka probably has the highest diversity. 
there aren’t really any very productive public spots that you’d be likely too find 1. a dolphin tooth at or 2. A high quantity of teeth (besides the mentioned Paleocene sites). If it were me going, I’d go too Purse or Douglas because of the chance of finding Otodus or Palaeocarcharodon. 

2 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

There aren’t really any public beaches that meet all of those standards. For quantity, the only really productive beaches are Purse state park and Douglas point, but those from the Paleocene, so you wouldn’t find any of the Miocene specific (Ecphora & Dolphin teeth for you) species you’d want & 90% of what you’ll find there are Sand Tigers, so not incredibly diverse. For the Ecphora, Matoaka Cottages would be the best bet considering most of what you find there are invertebrates, so you won’t find many shark teeth and probably won’t find a dolphin tooth. Though Matoaka probably has the highest diversity. 
there aren’t really any very productive public spots that you’d be likely too find 1. a dolphin tooth at or 2. A high quantity of teeth (besides the mentioned Paleocene sites). If it were me going, I’d go too Purse or Douglas because of the chance of finding Otodus or Palaeocarcharodon. 

I meant near the Calvert Cliffs specifically

Near them or that age specifically? Purse and Douglas are in Nanjemoy, so not too far. If you mean Calvert fm specifically, that Matoaka or Brownies would probably be your best bets but you are far from guaranteed too get anything great. Good luck!

Matoaka was probably the worse place I went to.  So many shells and trash in water floating. I'm sure you can dig and maybe find something but your better off just going to Calvert and looking.  Even though it's a long walk.  All the good places  near there are private with many signs saying keep out lol!

Go to C.C. state park and after the 2 mile trek make a left. You should find  nice shells  in and around the cliffs.