Found this fossil. But what is it?

RedHeadWelder

It's not a big fossil. My hubby and I think it's a buzzsaw shark tooth. Anyway, we can't figure out what kind of buzzsaw shark it's from or if it's even that kind of fossil. It looks like a doll shoe, but it is a fossil. Any help would be appreciated.

20210704_191259.jpg

20210704_185829.jpg

20210704_185050.jpg

20210704_185039.jpg

20210704_184951.jpg

20210704_184932.jpg

Hello and welcome! :meg:

If this is a fossil, it may be something like a horn coral - but I'm not very knowledgable about invertebrates. I can however rule out Helicoprion. Their teeth are narrow and blade-like, with smooth enamel.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I'm not at all certain what this could be, and I am relatively familiar with invertebrate fossils. It doesn't appear to me to be a coral, otherwise one would normally be able to see the septa on the inside.. And it certainly is not a buzzsaw tooth.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

These striations are veeery regular. And criss-cross each other at certain places. At the tip and one of the sides it looks malleable. Some sort of metal, maybe?

Not a fossils, but something man-made. Maybe some kind of bullet?
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

It is not a tooth - I see no enamel, or even tooth morphology. 

That said, I'm not sure of what it is otherwise.

Where was it found? County, town???

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Not a fossils, but something man-made. Maybe some kind of bullet?
Franz Bernhard

I am also thinking lead.... which is a soft metal and should be able to take scrappings if it is lead...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks sort of like part of a shoe from an old human figure toy or statue. :shrug:

• I Agree 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Not metal, that was our first thought also as it is heavy for its size, or at least some sort of cast or carving of a shoe from a figurine. Completely mineralized however, and the hollowed area under better magnification looked very similar to bone material. We thought it could be from a whorl tooth after seeing a nearly identical profile in a photo from an online research site.

We live in an area of Seattle that was built up back in the day with dredge material from Puget Sound. Maybe I can get someone from the university to check it out.

Screenshot_20210704-191034_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• I Agree 1

Way back in the mists of time when the world was young and so was I, there was a fine grain concrete statue of a girl with her shoes off. This very much reminds me of one of the shoes if it was broken off…..it was offered in 3 sizes and that’s about the right size for the small size one……

definetly man made though

Edited by Randyw
  • I found this Informative 1