Camel Teeth ... Maybe?

RescueMJ

Inland Venice, FL tooth recovery. Pleistocene material. Found an Equus tooth approx. 15 feet from this on recently excavated, permission granted property.  I think it is a camelid tooth x 2.  Can't find a close match online, gallery, or textbook.  The two teeth together are 27mm wide.  This is the first time I have found teeth attached to a jaw fragment.  ID assistance appreciated.

Looking forward to numerous fossil recoveries after storm passes by my home on Tuesday.

-Regards,

Michael

camel_4.jpg

camel_1.jpg

camel_2.jpg

camel_5.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Here is a post by @Harry Pristis from 2011. The first picture is of camel lowers, followed by camel uppers. 

These might be helpful, you may need to click on the photo to view all of them. 

Thank you. I did see Harry’s photos and gallery.  That is what guided me to camel. This would be the first out of 400 missions. I have found:  Meg, gator jaw, and Equus teeth on this 80’ x 80’ spot 

- Regards,

Michael

25 minutes ago, RescueMJ said:

Thank you. I did see Harry’s photos and gallery.  That is what guided me to camel. This would be the first out of 400 missions. I have found:  Meg, gator jaw, and Equus teeth on this 80’ x 80’ spot 

- Regards,

Michael

Once again , a forum member pointing you to Harry. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/21816-quiz-pleistocene-mammal-teeth/

In the above thread, Harry provides a hint on how to differentiate Palaeolama teeth from Hemiauchenia teeth.  Nice find,  especially jaw attached

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The Hemiauchenia cheek teeth have smooth enamel.  The Paleolama teeth have shallow crenulations.  For comparison:

camel_deciduous.JPG

camelm2m3.JPG

camelmolar.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

The Hemiauchenia cheek teeth have smooth enamel.  The Paleolama teeth have shallow crenulations.  For comparison:

camel_deciduous.JPG

camelm2m3.JPG

camelmolar.jpg

Now THIS is what makes the Forum great.  Thank you once again for the expert tutelage, Harry.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is a new species for me.  My guess is… Paleolama m2.  I don’t have an idea regarding upper or lower, left or right.  I came up with m2 by a photo reference. 

Teeth are 26mm wide and 38mm high from root to tip as seen on my 3rd photo. 

thank you all for your time and knowledge. 

The camelid upper, P4-M3, cheek tooth roots have four fangs.  If the root is not exposed, the base (just below the enamel) will be squarish to allow for the four fangs.

The camelid lower cheek tooth roots have two fangs.  If the root is not exposed, the base (just below the enamel) will be rectangular.

This squarish-rectangular arrangement is common in mammals, and is easily noted in horses.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you for the tip Harry. That tip went into my ID database.  I'm concluding there are 2 fangs and the base has two rectangular sections. Lower m2. @Harry Pristis Can you explain how to determine left or right without having a photo reference?  Thanks again for your spot on tips. are you aware of any photo reference of the paleolama ?

-Michael

Root_1.jpg

root base.jpg