Interesting Shell fossil, any ideas?

Caroboneferous

I found this interesting shell (I think) embedded in limestone with a bunch of other Carboniferous fossils.   This was found in the Kansas City, MO area.  

There are these really interesting swirls on the shell I haven’t really seen that before, I’m going to try to remove the fossil from its matrix.   Any ideas? 

05F05D8A-7B05-435D-B5FE-1C89FA2BE436.jpeg

E0E31D89-006F-44DA-9B84-663271E6590A.jpeg

869B870F-DCAD-4316-AF55-6DEDFF76A0CF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I don't know if there is a fossil here, but what I can see is named beekite.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

11 minutes ago, Coco said:

I don't know if there is a fossil here, but what I can see is named beekite.

Coco

It is a shell replaced by beekite (chalcedony). I think that all beekite forms from calcareous fossils. Can anyone find an example of beekite that is not a fossil?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can anyone find an example of beekite that is not a fossil?

Yes, wikipedia entry for beekite links to that article:

Beekite on carbonate clasts (link to wiley, only abstract available)

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

Just now, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, wikipedia entry for beekite links to that article:

Beekite on carbonate clasts (link to wiley, only abstract available)

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz. I suspected that pieces of non fossil carbonate may turn into beekite. I have never seen any and there is probably little collector interest. Wiki is getting better; you can find good references.

• Thank You 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is a shell replaced by beekite (chalcedony). I think that all beekite forms from calcareous fossils. Can anyone find an example of beekite that is not a fossil?

I have this from the south Devonshire coast, which I think is where beekite was first described. On a clast of Devonian limestone I think.

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.2d9c2e87d4d55a55a08b0aafa700f4a2.jpegIMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.b0bbb5577e6c0ab38faa61900b95db66.jpeg

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 5

Tarquin

There is probably a connection to chalcedony beekite and the much larger and usually individual chalcedony roses (not fossil related) that occur in arid area lavas. They are common in Arizona and California.

BCE5192D-576A-4D34-86DF-5B941097C2E2.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

Thanks guys!  This is a piece of limestone and there are shell fragments throughout.   There are also a few crinoid stems.   It’s very possible this formed from a fossil, I’ll post pictures whenever I can remove it from the limestone. 

On 7/6/2021 at 3:56 AM, TqB said:

I have this from the south Devonshire coast, which I think is where beekite was first described. On a clast of Devonian limestone I think.

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.2d9c2e87d4d55a55a08b0aafa700f4a2.jpegIMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.b0bbb5577e6c0ab38faa61900b95db66.jpeg

Hey!  Just wanted to show you the results after I opened the fossil.   It turned out to a brachiopod.   It looks like the organic material was replaced with beekite?   I’m not 100 percent sure.  

35B8BB11-3812-4668-BCE5-51ACE5522703.jpeg

0E5515F2-E124-4F44-B1F1-FBA02B5B01CC.jpeg

A056EFCA-E4D3-46A4-AFC4-95CB80ABD550.jpeg

• Thank You 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

I think that all beekite forms from calcareous fossils. Can anyone find an example of beekite that is not a fossil?

As Franz B. mentioned previously there is a good reference in Kazanci and Varol, 1993. I posted it in TFF in the past, but I can't find the topic. So here it is: beekite Kazanci-Varol.1993.pdf

Fig.2.thumb.jpg.9b60ea3bb02fea2781f4a7a97289c3e6.jpg

"Beekite is a clast surface feature formed by silicification. Since the original description by Hughes (1889), beekite is known to consist of tightly packed silica discs, which are mainly 2-4 mm in diameter which have a well-developed concentric pattern of rings. This form of silica occurs as a replacement of skeletal carbonate grains or an infill of dissolution voids in such grains (A.G.I., 1977), or as a replacement of carbonate rock clasts, and shows no evidence of organic origin (McBride, 1988)."

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library