Please help a girl that is in way over her head

Farmgirl

Hello. I am new around here so I hope this is the place to put this. I am looking for ways to ID everything that we have gathered on a state field trip for my son's 4-H project. I have the booklet that one of the state project leaders put together that lists what is supposed to be found where but that is all. It does have some pictures in the back but they are mostly line drawing type pictures in black and white so they are are tell what stuff is. Kansas does have a website that they have some pictures on but some times it isn't the greatest to use. I also have so many questions that I am not sure where to start. I will just number the biggest ones. 

1. In the booklet we have it lists the things we should be able to find. If it isn't listed there does it mean we can't find it there??

2. Kind of ties in with number 1 because we found stuff that looks like it could be one of two different things. How do you tell the difference between the two?  Do we just assume it is the one that is listed in the book if the other possibility isn't listed? For example: One fossil we found looks to me like it could be either Phylum: Mollusca; Class: Gastropoda; Genus: Pharkidonotus or Phylum: Mollusca; Class: Gastropoda; Genus: Knightites. However only the Pharkidonotus was listed as being a possible find in that area. 

3. If what they list as a possibility to find all that will be there is there a place you can go and just type in the name of the fossil and or rock and it will bring up pictures? Can I do that here or do I just have to scroll though all of the posts?

I think that will get us started at least. I still need to wash all of our stuff and I can post pictures if needed. I am afraid though that I won't be able to get great pictures because some of this stuff is super tiny and my camera doesn't do well with small stuff. 

Thank you all so very much for any and all help as we sure need it. 

Google Images will bring up pictures of whatever is typed in the search box. 

You can also search the Forum for the terms, and scroll through the results. 

Consider getting a loupe or magnifying glass to take pictures through. It can be a difficult process, but I have achieved some decent results with this method. 

Also, you can purchase inexpensive clip on Macro lenses for camera phones. Something to consider. 

Posting photos and giving complete information on where items were found are the best ways of receiving an ID here on the Forum. 

Please read through this topic to see what we need from you: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me