Is Fossil excavation Legal? / Is obtaining Fossils Legal?

Phos_01

Hello everyone,

I have just discovered this Forum, and I have to say it looks amazing! I feel like I've come to the right place, it has everything regarding Fossils and knowledge of people. I hope to find some additional Fossils here for my collection

I have just a few questions: Is it actually legal to dig up Dinosaur Fossils? Im just wondering as an example, if you dig up a Triceratops in Canada, or a Tyrannosaur Rex in the States (what would be awesome) is this allowed to search/dig for them? Can you just visit a digging site and start on your own, how does it work?

And my next question, if you would be lucky enough to find a Dinosaur Fossil, can you keep it? Or is it illegal to keep the Fossils, and are they curtesy of the Country? Perhaps the laws are different in each country but still. I have been told that it's impossible for example to get a Velociraptor, due to the fact that it's found it China, and the laws are extremely strict in Fossils shipping. Or another example, because Dinosaurs are found in all parts of the world, lets say you find a Mosasaurus in an unkown Fossil digging site, what do you? 

Perhaps these are stupid questions, but I've been wondering this for weeks now. I have started my collection, and I got some nice Megalodon Tooth from Indonesia, and some Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus tooth, now these tooth are from Morocco Kem Kem region, I feel like this is the only place left out there were its somewhat legal to dig up al these treasures, and ship them to other parts of the world. But even here, I have doubts if this is Legal. They told me if they don't sell them, they would just be destroyed because of the digging mines to make fertilizer.

Im just asking because it's a dream to go Dinosaur Fossil hunting one day.

Thank you for your reply's! 

Best,

Phos_01

ps. For those who are wondering, here are some pictures of my Fossils in my first Member post: 

1 hour ago, Phos_01 said:

Perhaps these are stupid questions,

There is no such thing like a stupid question!

US of America are a good choice for dinos, there are some companies offering dino hunting trips commercially. Usually, you can keep what you find, unless it is scientifically important (most of the time, it isn´t).

Don´t hope for a complete skeleton, this will be the absolute nightmare. Hope for some teeth and individual bones - and these are found regularly.

There are some members here on TFF who have joined such commercial dino hunting trips, they will probably point you to the right companies via pm ;).

Note: Expect to spend a few thousand dollars and a long waiting time - such trips are booked out quite quickly, which is a good sign.

Meanwhile, what about looking for fossils in your very home country and e.g. exploring 400 million year old sealife under your feet? Well, Dinos are rare, but most of your area seems to be very easy going regarding access etc. 

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1

Phos,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Hopefully you will enjoy the people and benefit from your participation.

I think that you have most of the answer.

Just like in most other fields,  the laws and rules vary by country and locality within country. Some countries are very strict (you can not collect anything) and other countries are pretty lax (you can find places you can collect and you can keep everything you do collect).

Being a fossil hunter, you learn a few things about country laws as you go about increasing your knowledge and skills associated with your hobby.  When/If you get to the point of traveling somewhere to hunt fossils, you absolutely needs to know the laws and regulations for that location.

In general , you can ask members on this forum or the professors at Paleontology departments about local laws and rules.

It is most important for me to know the laws exactly where I hunt. I know the Laws regulating fossil hunting in the state of Florida, USA as well and frequently better than the public employees who implement those laws.

If it were my driving ambition,  I believe I could find a state in the US where I could visit, hunt dinosaur fossil, and keep what I find. We will see what other forum members who live and hunt in those states believe..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Please remember offer any advice about prospecting companies or services via PM only. 

Thank you.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There is no such thing like a stupid question!

US of America are a good choice for dinos, there are some companies offering dino hunting trips commercially. Usually, you can keep what you find, unless it is scientifically important (most of the time, it isn´t).

Don´t hope for a complete skeleton, this will be the absolute nightmare. Hope for some teeth and individual bones - and these are found regularly.

There are some members here on TFF who have joined such commercial dino hunting trips, they will probably point you to the right companies via pm ;).

Note: Expect to spend a few thousand dollars and a long waiting time - such trips are booked out quite quickly, which is a good sign.

Meanwhile, what about looking for fossils in your very home country and e.g. exploring 400 million year old sealife under your feet? Well, Dinos are rare, but most of your area seems to be very easy going regarding access etc. 

Franz Bernhard

Thanks for your reply! 

Yeah I've seen some YouTube video's about it. It takes about 1.000 hours to dig and prepare the full skeleton fossil. Its amazing tough, but indeed a teeth of a Tyrannosaur would make me very happy lol as they are beautiful. What I forgot to mention in my topic, I have read some about a full T-rex fossil that had been sold in 2021 for 15 million to a private collector etc. And one of the persons who have found 'Sue' and such back in the day, leased the land in the Black Hills to Excavate, and had also sold some Rex' fossils. He then got charged vs it, from the landowner telling him it was hes property, and he even spend some jailtime. (atleast what I have read) interesting story.

They can always send me a PM. When im planning a trip to the States I will make a new post and ask for some tips anyway.

I know In Belgium there are allot of Fossils also, but im mostly interested in Dinosaurs at this moment. Before you know it, your whole house is full with fossils lol ! 

Thanks again,

• Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Phos,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Hopefully you will enjoy the people and benefit from your participation.

I think that you have most of the answer.

Just like in most other fields,  the laws and rules vary by country and locality within country. Some countries are very strict (you can not collect anything) and other countries are pretty lax (you can find places you can collect and you can keep everything you do collect).

Being a fossil hunter, you learn a few things about country laws as you go about increasing your knowledge and skills associated with your hobby.  When/If you get to the point of traveling somewhere to hunt fossils, you absolutely needs to know the laws and regulations for that location.

In general , you can ask members on this forum or the professors at Paleontology departments about local laws and rules.

It is most important for me to know the laws exactly where I hunt. I know the Laws regulating fossil hunting in the state of Florida, USA as well and frequently better than the public employees who implement those laws.

If it were my driving ambition,  I believe I could find a state in the US where I could visit, hunt dinosaur fossil, and keep what I find. We will see what other forum members who live and hunt in those states believe..

Hi Shellseeker,

Yeah that totally makes sense. When you're hunting you would not want to have the constant fear of doing something illegal. 

But from what I read here, it seems allowed to hunt in USA and keep your Fossils.

Hopefully I can do this one day. 

Best,

Phos

9 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Hi Shellseeker,

Yeah that totally makes sense. When you're hunting you would not want to have the constant fear of doing something illegal. 

But from what I read here, it seems allowed to hunt in USA and keep your Fossils.

Hopefully I can do this one day. 

Best,

Phos

One of the things you can do is search the old threads for references to dinosaurs.  I had heard of a Hell Creek formation in Montana, and searched for "Hell Creek", 

You might be interested in this thread...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

As far as dinosaurs hunting in the western States its very legal to collect as long as you are on private land and have landowners permission.    Public areas really do not exist so you really need to hook up with a prospecting company or know someone who has access to land.

I routinely go collecting and post my trips, here is one you can look at

Just to re-iterate:

1. In Canada, dinosaurs are mostly found in the provinces of Alberta and (to a much lesser extent) Saskatchewan.  A very few dinosaurs have been found in British Columbia.  You cannot collect dinosaurs (or any fossils) and remove them from these provinces at all.  Any Canadian dinosaur fossils on the market are from old collections, before the laws went into effect, or they are illegal.  Also the Canadian Heritage Act prohibits the removal of any fossils of scientific value, and any fossils above a certain monetary value (I don't recall how much, but not particularly high) without a permit.

2. In the US, collecting vertebrate fossils (unless you are a qualified researcher with a permit, and then the fossils must go to a proper museum) is illegal on federal land, and also most states.  Some states are OK with collecting vertebrates such as shark teeth, whale bones, horse teeth, and such.  Although it is possible to find teeth and isolated bones in some states (North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas) they are very rare and likely of scientific importance.  This means you are looking at collecting on private property.

3. Land owners in areas where you can reasonably expect to find dinosaur fossils are well aware of their value.  Don't expect them to say to a complete stranger, "Sure, go ahead and collect to your heart's content".  Perhaps you will be able to arrange to lease some land, which will not be cheap.  The most viable option is to sign up with a pay-to-collect business.  All will cost a fair amount.  Some let you keep most of what you find, some are more restrictive.  You will have to do your research to find out what the policy of each company really is.  I think it is safe to say that in the end, with travel costs (airfare, car rental, hotel) and fees to collect with these businesses, you can expect to pay considerably more than what you would pay for the same fossils on the commercial market, with a not-trivial chance you won't find much.  You will be paying mostly for the experience, the thrill of finding your own fossils.  I am not into dinosaurs, but I do collect almost all of my own fossils because I value the experience of searching, finding, prepping, etc.  Each specimen then has a story attached to it: I remember the day, the heat (or cold, or the perfect sky), the people I was hunting with, and for me that makes each fossil even more special.  That is what you can expect to get for your money.  A complete Triceratops skull is vastly less likely.

Also consider the cost of excavating, transporting, and prepping a large bone or more complete skeleton.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

As far as dinosaurs hunting in the western States its very legal to collect as long as you are on private land and have landowners permission.    Public areas really do not exist so you really need to hook up with a prospecting company or know someone who has access to land.

I routinely go collecting and post my trips, here is one you can look at

I just looked an read the entire thing thanks for sharing, wow that Triceratops is out of this world cool. And those teeth you found also. those Claws are nice too, you are really doing the dream with these diggings. Still looking at that Triceratops, image if you would have this at your house amazing, just amazing. 

5 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just to re-iterate:

1. In Canada, dinosaurs are mostly found in the provinces of Alberta and (to a much lesser extent) Saskatchewan.  A very few dinosaurs have been found in British Columbia.  You cannot collect dinosaurs (or any fossils) and remove them from these provinces at all.  Any Canadian dinosaur fossils on the market are from old collections, before the laws went into effect, or they are illegal.  Also the Canadian Heritage Act prohibits the removal of any fossils of scientific value, and any fossils above a certain monetary value (I don't recall how much, but not particularly high) without a permit.

2. In the US, collecting vertebrate fossils (unless you are a qualified researcher with a permit, and then the fossils must go to a proper museum) is illegal on federal land, and also most states.  Some states are OK with collecting vertebrates such as shark teeth, whale bones, horse teeth, and such.  Although it is possible to find teeth and isolated bones in some states (North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas) they are very rare and likely of scientific importance.  This means you are looking at collecting on private property.

3. Land owners in areas where you can reasonably expect to find dinosaur fossils are well aware of their value.  Don't expect them to say to a complete stranger, "Sure, go ahead and collect to your heart's content".  Perhaps you will be able to arrange to lease some land, which will not be cheap.  The most viable option is to sign up with a pay-to-collect business.  All will cost a fair amount.  Some let you keep most of what you find, some are more restrictive.  You will have to do your research to find out what the policy of each company really is.  I think it is safe to say that in the end, with travel costs (airfare, car rental, hotel) and fees to collect with these businesses, you can expect to pay considerably more than what you would pay for the same fossils on the commercial market, with a not-trivial chance you won't find much.  You will be paying mostly for the experience, the thrill of finding your own fossils.  I am not into dinosaurs, but I do collect almost all of my own fossils because I value the experience of searching, finding, prepping, etc.  Each specimen then has a story attached to it: I remember the day, the heat (or cold, or the perfect sky), the people I was hunting with, and for me that makes each fossil even more special.  That is what you can expect to get for your money.  A complete Triceratops skull is vastly less likely.

Also consider the cost of excavating, transporting, and prepping a large bone or more complete skeleton.

Don

Hi Don,

Well that was what I was afraid for and tought how it was going to be. It was to good to be true, I had already figured out my desired fossils-list will be cheaper online, then in the real world.. Nevertheless I want to have a digging expierience also, but without paying thousants as new fossil hunter who doesn't know what hes doing. 

Once I will go to the US or Canada , I will definitely try to get myself in a fossil-hunting-excursion trip

I will also investigate people's experience here with the Kem Kem region in Marokko. 

Thanks for your info,

Best,