Help me identify this interesting florida fossil plz.

James31

I found this fossil at Caspersen Beach Florida, while snorkeling please help me identify it, ill go crazy if i don't find out what it is.

20210709_100346_HDR.jpg

20210709_100337_HDR.jpg

20210709_100326_HDR.jpg

Please do not post duplicate ID requests. I have removed your first topic. Patience is key. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the fossil forum,  You have given me a challenge.

Not an easy fossil to Identify.  At first I wondered if it might be a Turtle spur,  but if so, it would be the largest I have even seen, so on 2nd thought,  think not.

Then I considered Patella,  a knee cap It is definitely bone.

While I am not sure it would help me, please provide size measurements, and crisper focus on photos.  They seem fuzzy.

I'll ask a little help from my forum friends who cover Florida Fossils,  @Harry Pristis, @Plantguy @digit, @PODIGGER @Sacha

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Not ringing any bells for me. :headscratch:

The first image seems to show some symmetry to the object. In the other images there seems to be a smooth cortex surface on one side and a spongy cancellous surface on the other that might indicate a broken or worn bone. Let's see if this looks familiar to some of the other Florida members.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

The first thing that came to mind, looking at the first photo, was ray dermal scute, but the underside doesn't seem right for that on the last two pics.

• Thank You 1

Interesting.

I'm unfortunately not sure what you have there either. I do think its fossil and a bone fragment of some type. Yep as Ken points out there looks to be some symmetry. Maybe a sharper image of the texture/symmetry with measurements/a scale as Jack requested might help but I think its just too fragmentary/worn to be sure but worth a shot. Maybe a side shot showing it lengthwise. I thought maybe ray dermal scute for a moment but the internal structure is wrong. I've been seeing too many turtle carapace fragments lately and that crossed my mind as well but I'm stuck on unknown bone fragment.  

Dont go crazy on the lack of a specific ID...lots of stuff gets so broken/beatup/worn that there is nothing left distinctive enough to say for sure.

Lets see a really crisp/sharply focused of the top surface and maybe you'll be able to sway us in a specific direction.

Regards, Chris .