ThePhysicist

Hi y'all. While visiting a local rock shop, I saw these mammal teeth in a tray labeled "shark teeth," along with actual shark teeth. I wasn't sure of what they were and decided to take them home. Their proximity to another tray of fossil cetacean teeth and their rough similarity (crown-to-root ratio) made me think they could be odontocete. Thanks for any help! @Boesse@Harry Pristis

IMG_2417.thumb.jpeg.598a9f46e44cda2f601cf0287f2f1020.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg.ff0cb66a57fbf70ac964dfdbb6543767.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg.b76e4857ea8f2c44dd4cf437d54f980c.jpeg

IMG_2420.jpeg.5909e1863b0dce2c32189494c0490824.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I should have also mentioned that the teeth are 2 cm in height. Anyway, it seems that the marine mammal intuition led me somewhere. The crowns closely match harbour seal lower premolars. They may not necessarily be harbour seal, but perhaps at least in the pinniped clade. 

Congenitally-missing-bilateral-mandibular-molar-teeth-white-arrows-in-an-adult-female_W640.jpeg.f7534704aff07ad57a1ab173678828a8.jpeg

Bilateral-mandibular-supernumerary-teeth-associated-with-the-first-incisor-teeth-black_W640.jpeg.6c0ef87f12e104d6c8c79e1131b1ce9b.jpeg

Abrasion-of-the-mandibular-canine-teeth-at-the-occlusal-surfaces-white-arrows-and-root_W640.jpeg.575d353c567fa58b3b5db5164e33ad70.jpeg

^https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274252419_Dental_and_Temporomandibular_Jint_Pathology_of_the_Eastern_Harbor_Seal_Phoca_vituina

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

This is a modern fur seal cheek tooth, probably Arctocephalus, or possibly a southern hemisphere sea lion (NOT California or Steller's sea lion).

Apical dental wear on postcanine teeth in a wild Australian fur seal... |  Download Scientific Diagram

• I found this Informative 2