Vertebra from Mowry/Thermopolis shale

DeanB

We were told we could find croc teeth in this Mowry shale along the eastern rim of the bighorn basin and found this fossilized vertebral bone.

IMG-3304.jpg

IMG-3305.jpg

Please take the photos in the suggested picture:

Tim_Photo_Diagram_.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

51 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Plesiosaur?

I wouldn't rule it out. The degree of deterioration makes it difficult. The texture seemed fish like, maybe.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:35 PM, Rockwood said:

I wouldn't rule it out. The degree of deterioration makes it difficult. The texture seemed fish like, maybe.

Obviously new to this forum and fossil hunting (I take care of living people for a living).  Is there a place / person that I could contact to send this specimen for further evaluation?  Generally, what happens when a lay person like myself finds a fossil and would like to learn more about the specimen besides posting it here?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, DeanB said:

Obviously new to this forum and fossil hunting (I take care of living people for a living).  Is there a place / person that I could contact to send this specimen for further evaluation?  Generally, what happens when a lay person like myself finds a fossil and would like to learn more about the specimen besides posting it here?  Thanks!

This project comes to mind. Big Horn Basin Project. DVPS, the Delaware Valley people, are in on it.