Very rare Tyrannosauridae tooth!

Nichet1122

This tooth is Tyrannosauridae tooth from china! I think it's Qianzhousaurus or bigger tyrannosaurid(Tarbosaurus or Zhuchengtyrannus). Size 3.1 inches. Very rare and big size.

Discovered area : Nanxiong  Formation, Jiangxi Province, China

20210616_224301.jpg

20210616_223212.jpg

20210616_223253.jpg

20210616_222854.jpg

Edited by Nichet1122
  • Enjoyed 2

Indeed rare, nice tooth..  Here is some info on large teeth from that locality.   Your denticles are not typical of tyrannosaurids which are chisel shape.  The paper also suggests that Carcharodontosaurids might be present.  Lots of unknowns.

http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/02/exceptionally-large-theropod-teeth-from.html?m=

• I found this Informative 1

51 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Indeed rare, nice tooth..  Here is some info on large teeth from that locality.   Your denticles are not typical of tyrannosaurids which are chisel shape.  The paper also suggests that Carcharodontosaurids might be present.  Lots of unknowns.

http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/02/exceptionally-large-theropod-teeth-from.html?m=

Oh really? I'm surprised it's not tyrannosaurid.

I added tooth serrations. Sorry for not clear photo...

20210616_210031.jpg

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Are carcharodontosauruids lived in Late cretaceous? This tooth age is around 70m~67m years ago.

Edited by Nichet1122

Thanks for the closeup, serrations are not chisel shaped. 

On Carcharodontosaurids just passing on what the article said.  But all the teeth in the paper are ID as an indeterminate theropod 

Thanks for the closeup, serrations are not chisel shaped. 

On Carcharodontosaurids just passing on what the article said.  But all the teeth in the paper are ID as an indeterminate theropod 

Hmm it's the only way to fossil preparation and take off the matrix.

Why would you want to take it off the matrix?  Tooth looks very unstable and the matrix adds provenance 

• I Agree 1

Why would you want to take it off the matrix?  Tooth looks very unstable and the matrix adds provenance 

Actually, I want to see other side... 

You don't recommend get rid of matrix?

Edited by Nichet1122

I would not remove it.  Given that the preservation is very poor the matrix provides the support for the tooth and is a marker to aid in identification of locality.   I also doubt it would add much to aid in identification 

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I would not remove it.  Given that the preservation is very poor the matrix provides the support for the tooth and is a marker to aid in identification of locality.   I also doubt it would add much to aid in identification 

I see. Thanks for applying troodon!