daves64

I recently purchased a "Pay Dirt" box from forum member MikeG @Bone Daddy's site for a little something to do. In it was this piece of wood. Originally it was a very dark brown, almost black color (imagine that from Peace River). Anyway, I went over the front of it lightly with a 600 grit sanding cloth & the color lightened up nicely. Filed & polished a bit of the upper end & found that it may not be regular wood. Measures 7 cm long by 2.5 cm at it's widest. First 2 pics are the front & back. Pics 3, 4 & 5 are the polished bit at 60x, 75x & 100x respectively. Not used to seeing round in pet wood, so I thought I'd see if this is possibly palmoxylon instead.

1.JPG

2.JPG

60 x.jpg

75 x.jpg

100 x.jpg

Edited by daves64
Pics showed up in wrong order..
  • I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 hours ago, daves64 said:

I recently purchased a "Pay Dirt" box from forum member MikeG @Bone Daddy's site for a little something to do. In it was this piece of wood. Originally it was a very dark brown, almost black color (imagine that from Peace River). Anyway, I went over the front of it lightly with a 600 grit sanding cloth & the color lightened up nicely. Filed & polished a bit of the upper end & found that it may not be regular wood. Measures 7 cm long by 2.5 cm at it's widest. First 2 pics are the front & back. Pics 3, 4 & 5 are the polished bit at 60x, 75x & 100x respectively. Not used to seeing round in pet wood, so I thought I'd see if this is possibly palmoxylon instead.

1.JPG

2.JPG

60 x.jpg

75 x.jpg

100 x.jpg

palm or palmetto? 

Just now, Tetradium said:

palm or palmetto? 

But odd enough my first thought before close up is rib bone. 

Hi Dave!

That does have an interesting texture. I'm curious to see what some of the other members say. I run across pieces with that look from time to time and assumed they were partial dugong ribs with a river-altered surface.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Been tied up again. This time my mother cracked her hip (stress fracture, not a full break requiring surgery) and I am helping out. Been running around like a chicken with head cut off and haven't been in the forum in a few weeks.

Palmoxylon (Petrified palmwood) is an extinct genus of palm named from petrified wood found around the world.

I have hunted the Peace River and have never see anything like this.. I have found fossilized wood,  maybe cypress,  fossilized roots,  fossilized vine (Liana) .... It makes sense that there would be fossilized palm, and those small circles seem to show up in other examples of palmwood on the internet.  Nice acquisition/discovery!!

@Bone Daddy You might consider returning to that location to see if you can find more..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

All the palm wood that I have seen does not have the double circular structures. The exterior of palm looks different too, palm has lots of long fibers.

7FD11A81-9C82-4EDF-ADF2-C47DBAB21416.jpeg

1A502992-5E16-45FD-BDFD-255E33699495.jpeg

B0F9976C-C306-428F-80A2-2B0CA400BCC6.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have another piece (at least one) from the same "batch", only this one is the color of coffee creamer. It also has a bunch of filaments present as well. Pic 1 is a rough end section below where I polished. 2,3 & 4 show polished end section at 50x, 70x & 100x (filaments start showing here). 5 is a rough exterior section showing the grain. 6 & 7 showing a small section of polished side view, also showing the filaments. I'll get full exterior pics in the morning. 

A156 - 20210712_065508.jpg

A157 - 20210712_065639.jpg

A158 - 20210712_065721.jpg

A159 - 20210712_065811.jpg

A160 - 20210712_104904.jpg

A161 - 20210712_111058.jpg

A162 - 20210712_111218.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Looks close. I wonder if the individual fibrovascular bundles have been coated with layers of minerals that cause the multi layer ring structures?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Maybe it's just my eyes, but that exterior texture is off for palm. The interior magnified view is intriguing, but the outermost "bark" doesn't look right for palm. It looks more like what I would expect a hardwood to look like. Very interesting. 

Nice find! I was thinking Palm/Palmoxylon as well. 

This is a good reference for us Floridians...which it has several so so photos/examples, just a few...your photos are better!

.image.png.33968e5ddcd12b3065496460609b8c8c.png

https://floridapaleosociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Papers-in-Florida-Paleontology-8-November-1996.pdf

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1