itsronni

Hello once again!

Here’s a find I’m particularly excited about, a new tooth! I found it while perusing gravel banks at Ramenessin. 

It’s tiny! 1 cm at the most. It does have striations, though they were difficult to capture with my camera. It’s also split in half. One carinae as well.

I’m hoping this is of the marine reptile variety, guessing croc due to the size. I dabbled with the idea of pachyrhizodus as well, although I think the striations rule that out?

Any insight is much appreciated, eager to ID this one! 

24489D8B-452F-4140-9FFD-AA8EC0E75512.jpeg

5431CC51-C26F-4EA0-834D-673750A03136.jpeg

68130B70-D2B5-46DA-8225-D06E6AB04E9E.jpeg

0617017A-2235-48DD-A57B-6C183C236880.jpeg

Crocodile tooth. The exact species or tooth position is probably unidentifiable. Hope it's going well. When I am back in NJ maybe everyone can get together to collect.

Edited by Trevor
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

: )

Thanks Trevor! Awesome, first marine reptile tooth.

Hope you’re doing well too! I’m actually moving to Illinois at the end of the month, but I’ll be back for a week in Sept. if everyone’s around then. 

Although a small and partial tooth like this is hard to identify, it's obviously not a fish tooth nor is it plesiosaurian. While a bit hard to see from the photographs (except the third one), the tooth appears quite bulbous - mosasaur teeth would be more compressed.

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett