Mammal tooth piece - Austin, Texas

Jared C

Hey y'all

Today I took a friend of mine fossil hunting for the first time, and to my delight (and relief, lol) he made an interesting find. Several other finds came later as well. Both sides of this mammal tooth chunk have a distinctive "clink", so I figure it must be old enough to at least have faced some preservation. 

He took his find home when we finished, so unfortunately I have no measurements or up close photos. 

IMG-0368.thumb.jpg.a9b74e2c07b068f22680fbdf6413931d.jpgIMG-0366.thumb.jpg.81b3fa44178abe5fcd7e6cfbb5619337.jpgIMG-0365.thumb.jpg.d36ef7c6751cd51f8df1b263afa5822f.jpg

My guess would be that this is a piece of a bison tooth. Not far away we found a complete bison tooth as well. However, seeming I've found a piece of mammoth enamel in the same area, other Pleistocene fauna may be in the running as well. Any advice or info will be helpful, thank y'all.

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

this was buried quite quickly, so I'm just going to shamelessly reply to get it back up there

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg