East US sites? And some specific questions

ArtsyAxolotl

Hello again! I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for places in the north east US (around PA) that I could research? As was suggested to me, I’ve narrowed down the things I’d like to collect. I’m really interested in fossils that.. well look like things. Don’t get me wrong, shells and crinoids are exciting! But I’d be so jazzed to have fish, crustaceans, insects, or plants. Anomalocaris are so rad, though I fully understand that those are hard to find so I’m going to focus on other stuff for now lol. Maybe someday.

My dad in particular wanted me to ask if anyone knew of any east coast places to find ants. I saw posts about an amber site in NJ but my understanding is that it’s pretty well picked through. He and I are going to the Montour pit next weekend to look for trilobites but I thought I’d ask for stuff he’s into.

I’m going to be doing more research when I get home (I’m on mobile atm), but I’d love to pick your brains in the meantime! Thanks so much as always!

Hey nice to meet you! I am located outside Philly and I have had great luck finding trilobites and brachiopods in central PA as well as shark teeth in northern NJ. I have found a fossilized shrimp claw in NJ but mostly teeth.  

As for what you are asking specifically I personally have not come across any information on whole fish like those seen in the famous Wyoming sites, insects or crustaceans besides the occasional shrimp claw and body found in NJ. As for plants central PA is a hot spot but finding the areas where collecting is permitted becomes tricky fast. 

I would encourage you to check out this site: https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Education/GeologyEducation/IdentifyingandCollecting/Pages/default.aspx and look at the associated fossil plates they have for an idea of some of the things PA has to offer. 

• I found this Informative 1

Oh! You know what, I saw this website but I didn’t realize there were photos of plates at the bottom of the page. Thank you! I’ll check that out :)

On 7/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, ArtsyAxolotl said:

Hello again! I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for places in the north east US (around PA) that I could research? As was suggested to me, I’ve narrowed down the things I’d like to collect. I’m really interested in fossils that.. well look like things. Don’t get me wrong, shells and crinoids are exciting! But I’d be so jazzed to have fish, crustaceans, insects, or plants. Anomalocaris are so rad, though I fully understand that those are hard to find so I’m going to focus on other stuff for now lol. Maybe someday.

My dad in particular wanted me to ask if anyone knew of any east coast places to find ants. I saw posts about an amber site in NJ but my understanding is that it’s pretty well picked through. He and I are going to the Montour pit next weekend to look for trilobites but I thought I’d ask for stuff he’s into.

I’m going to be doing more research when I get home (I’m on mobile atm), but I’d love to pick your brains in the meantime! Thanks so much as always!

I've found amber in lower Cretaceous deposits in Maryland but so far no bugs or anything in it. Most lower Cretaceous units don't make it to New Jersey, though, but Maryland and northern Virginia have some. 

As for "interesting" fossils...I don't know of any specific sites around Reading, but I would recommend the Shamokin-Hazleton area. The Coal Region has a lot of plant sites, mostly old mines or mine dumps, but there's a decent number of roadcuts you can explore. Google maps is your friend in that regard. I know PA-54 has some cuts in the area that expose sandstone and shale that might have stuff. 

A little further afield there's Locust Lane. I've actually been there, but didn't find anything. I mention it because people claim to have found Cambrian trilobites there, and maybe I just had bad luck. 

If it's insects your dad likes, I'm afraid he's probably out of luck in this area. I've found a couple of arachnids and whatnot over the years, but they're exceedingly rare. Your best bet for them, though, is in the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian aged rocks, especially around Pittsburgh/the Allegheny Plateau region.