Is it Alligator or Caiman? what do you think?

PaleoMexico

What kind of crocodile do you think it is? Alligator, Caiman, or another crocodile?

The material is from the Mexican Pleistocene, I will not say location to avoid biogeographic influence

207572722_855423668729259_2045381060744020351_n.thumb.jpg.520d529d28e4c09f9b1c267db9bdddc6.jpg

211500763_1592508004474271_4703479141777632883_n (1).jpg

216881162_357435252396866_8965858322685292703_n.thumb.jpg.4b4cf13a263a271fa5b5d777a4db2dd2.jpg

I'm not sure whether you can tell the type of crocodilian just from a jaw section like this. Judging from my experience with marine reptiles I'd say you wouldn't, in which case your best bet would be to look at the known faunal assemblage for the location this piece was found at in order to figure out the most likely source...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

True, I seem to remember something about the number (and therefore presumably distribution) of foramina being species-specific. So, may be you could use that information to try and work out the most likely origin of your mandible.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

14 hours ago, PaleoMexico said:

The material

The difference in diet may be of significance in a lab equipped to do spectrographic analysis. ;)

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

The difference in diet may be of significance in a lab equipped to do spectrographic analysis. ;)

I would've thought isotope analysis on strontium and nitrogen... But that'd only get you the trophic level. Not sure whether that'd really be too informative, as crocodilians are all predators, of course, and I doubt you'd be able to get to the necessary resolution to differentiate between them - simply because you'd still need to account for individual variation...

• I found this Informative 1

Yea I was thinking of the thin jawed fish eaters. They may be better targets. Just guessing, as if that weren't obvious. :shakehead:

• Enjoyed 1