Does anyone have more info on this New York brachiopod?

Misha

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago while looking through the pdf Devonian Paleontology of NY by Linsley I stumbled upon a very interesting looking brachiopod,

This is an athyrid that belongs to the genus Pentagonia which is apparently found in the Mid Devonian of New York. I was immdiatley quite intrigued by this as I have never heard of it and love athyrids especially with interesting and unique shapes such as this one, so wanted to find out what formations these could be in as I would be really interested in finding some, but upon looking the genus and both species up I didn't get any good results.

So I thought I would ask here, does anyone have any info on these brachiopods like what formations they could be found in or maybe any other pdfs that mention them, this is very interesting to me and I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you very much!

Misha

Pentagonia1024_1.thumb.jpg.83a5b1ad11c10afe61f588f8122f5655.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Text and figures from the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology: Brachiopoda Part H V4 happy0144.gif

image.thumb.png.93634a074e54a90477b79a09ec68c956.png

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Most of the illustrations in your book are using the plates from James Hall's "Palaeontology of New York" series. I found PDF copies of all of them available via HathiTrust, you can download them for free if you have access through a university. If you find a copy, look at Plate 50, and text page 309. Hall called these Meristella, and describes several species.

My more recent "Field Guide to the Devonian Fossils of New York" shows Pentagonia unisulcata, and names the Onondaga Formation as a source layer. 

Let me know if you want me to extract & share the relevant pages in Hall's book. I'll be happy to do so, but it's a little late tonight.

• I found this Informative 3

@piranha Thank you so much, I should have thought to check the Treatsie, 

This has been very helpful, using the other names listed there I was able to find this:

Onondaga.thumb.jpg.201fa32b63bd284dbb83c2d2fcd71b69.jpg

Apparently this genus is present in the Onondaga formation and that's also where Paraspirifer acuminatus is found, another species I was wondering about. 

I don't know much about this formation or where exposures can be found but I guess that means a bit of research for me.

Thanks again,

Misha

• I found this Informative 1

Also have a look at the Fossilworks entry for this genus to give an idea of the formations and localities in which it may be found. 

Fossilworks: Pentagonia

Never comprehensive but can be a good starting point. 

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png