Possible Gator tooth

Finding Florida

I believe this is a crocodile or alligator tooth but it's much larger than the ones that I have or that I have seen. Is that what I have?

IMG_20210713_215124388.jpg

IMG_20210713_215130551.jpg

IMG_20210713_215134827.jpg

Dude that's a NICE one!!!

My money's on crocodilian, possibly American Crocodile since Alligator teeth are usually stubbier in my experience. I'm not an expert though so we'll see what they say. 

Thank you that's what I was thinking the alligator teeth that we have are as you mentioned short and stubby

I also believe this to be Croc.... however,

Croc seems to have an older fossil record (Miocene) than Gator (Pliocene),  and there is a feeling that Croc grew to huge sizes (20-25 feet) more frequently than gator, Crocs liked salt water, Gator preferred fresh or brine.  Your tooth has interesting enamel, and lacks a carina present on many gators. 

image.png.dfa37171c2c90b7f6d3797b0c338a3aa.png

Gators and Crocs in Florida

fossil skulls

Nice find...

You might be interested in this thread...

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

22 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I also believe this to be Croc.... however,

Croc seems to have an older fossil record (Miocene) than Gator (Pliocene),  and there is a feeling that Croc grew to huge sizes (20-25 feet) more frequently than gator, Crocs liked salt water, Gator preferred fresh or brine.  Your tooth has interesting enamel, and lacks a carina present on many gators. 

No.  'Gators have a long history in Florida. 

"Croc" is a vague rubric.  This tooth may be from a Gavialosuchus (Thecachampsa), a long-snouted "false gharial."  It was a fish eater with long, spikelike teeth.  It is found in Florida in the Middle Miocene.

gatordentaryolseni.JPG.24d6a947cfe53e9392bd869db1e3ca84.JPG  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest