Ordovician Unknown - Echinoderm?

connorp

This specimen was found in the Maquoketa Formation (Upper Ordovician) of Minnesota. My best guess is part of an echinoderm (crinoid or cystoid calyx?) but I'm not sure, I've never found anything similar. Any thoughts?

IMG-0871.thumb.jpg.0d3f3f05bc5465ed25c8107a8d87bd86.jpg

IMG-0872.thumb.jpg.b4d44dc7ccd824ea2e8d632b66d6f0a0.jpg

I can't help you with an ID, but maybe you can help me. :)

Those nice grey fossils are graptolites if I'm not wrong. Could they be Climacograptus species?

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 7/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, abyssunder said:

I can't help you with an ID, but maybe you can help me. :)

Those nice grey fossils are graptolites if I'm not wrong. Could they be Climacograptus species?

Yes they're graptolites. I've seen the names Amplexograptus and Diplograptus tossed around in reference to these but haven't researched them much yet.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, connorp said:

This specimen was found in the Maquoketa Formation (Upper Ordovician) of Minnesota. My best guess is part of an echinoderm (crinoid or cystoid calyx?) but I'm not sure, I've never found anything similar. Any thoughts?

IMG-0871.thumb.jpg.0d3f3f05bc5465ed25c8107a8d87bd86.jpg

IMG-0872.thumb.jpg.b4d44dc7ccd824ea2e8d632b66d6f0a0.jpg

The second one is something different. Maybe a broken up chitin invertebrate. Never had seen those in local Decorah/platteville in which chitin broke up then sediments fill in cracks.