Real Mosasaurus jaw section?

RickCalif

From oued zem maestrichian phosphate bed Moroccan..traded some Carcharodon planus for what I believe or hope is an actual Mosasaurus  jaw section  Hope someone here can make a stab at what Mosasaurus it may be from.

20210714_091919.jpg

@RickCalif Size? Stab at this point - Halisaurus.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Yup, definitely would say Halisaurus arambourgi partial mandible for this one. The type of foramina seen here is consistent with mosasaur mandible, and the diminutive size and minimal degree of curvature is typical of H. arambourgi.

2 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I'm thinking Halisaurus also. 

I'm not sure of the species, but Halisaurus arambourgi seems like a good fit.

Currently, since the description of Pluridens serpentis, there's only one remaining species of Halisaurus recognized within the Moroccan phosphates. And while P. serpentis is also a halisaurine mosasaur, it's teeth are notably different, exhibiting striations around the base of the crown and being more recurved. P. serpentis teeth are also usually notably larger than those of H. arambourgi.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

hi

i think also ,halisaurus arambourgi.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...