Help to Identify Phacops like trilobite without eyes ??

Hi members. I am a new member and developing a collection. Currently I am looking at a sample I am seeing online. They have incorrectly identified as Barrandeops. I have one and this definitely is not that species. The one I am displaying has no eyes. It comes on a matrix with other specimens, but this one picture is the best of the group.

I would appreciate if someone can identify this Moroccan fossil. It is not smooth at all, or are the others.

no-eyes.JPG

I really don't know much about trilobites but with this trilobite I would bet on Calymene. But wait until the right experts come.

Fossildude19
  • Fossildude19 changed the title to Help to Identify Phacops like trilobite without eyes ??

It almost looks to be a Placoparia, but I have doubts as to the authenticity of the specimen. When I look closely at the pygidium, I think I see two small holes, which might be indicative of a resin cast.

• I Agree 1

Can you take a pic of the entire slab. What you show looks a bit fishy to my eye . At minimum the slab is likely a composite. A higher resolution well focused pic of this bug would help in determining if it is a cast or perhaps a composite of more than one bug.

• I Agree 2

Good morning,

I was also suspecting FAKE. I am not bidding on this one !!

Probably for the best. :) 

Just out of interest's sake, could you post a photo of the entire slab?

Sorry did not realize the specimen was not in your possession

Retracted bid, based on that they claimed it a Barrandeops. I have scoured through this venue and found some obvious Fakes. I have also found some very interesting real ones that were mislabeled.  

Also I have attached a pic of a Calymeme. This appears to be the winner without a doubt. Note the bumps next to the nose (3 places / side).

Calymeme.JPG