Arden

We found this in a tributary of a creek that runs through my sister's backyard in St. Louis, Missouri. Also found druzy quartz, brachiopods, bryozoans, and other molluscs and a few geodes.

It looks like burrows in rock (flint?) Top photo shows cluster of shells found at the bottom of the tube. The rock is about 1 square foot in size. Is it a trace fossil of a burrowing mollusc? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

20210712_145703.jpg

20210712_145654.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

That´s a nice specimen of - ??

Well, I am somewhat biased and have found rather similar things in the same size range here over the big pond. I am imagining that this is mostly an external  mold of a (colonial?) rugosa* coral. The "cluster of shells" could than be some remaining internal molds of such corals. I could be totally wrong, of course.

Rugosa (link to wikipedia)

*Note: The attribution to Paleozoic rugosa corals and not to Meso- and Cenozoic scleractinia corals is only based on the state they were found in.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I could be totally wrong, of course.

Not this time.

Thanks. This is definitely from a paleozoic site (Carboniferous). My sister thought it might be from a burrowing mollusc, and corals casts makes more sense to me.

• Thank You 1

On 7/15/2021 at 4:24 AM, Rockwood said:

Not this time.

Had seen similar horn corals in platteville formation as well too. The outer part rotted away leaving the internal structures thou this picture is of a colonial rugose coral. 

• I Agree 1