Drotops armatus original , Scan, and 3D printing project

MattJ

I have acquired some very nice equipment for Rapid Prototype work. While on my vacation, I decided to put it to a test. I will start with the subject that was scanned using a Creaform Handyscan Black Elite. This trilobite is a very detailed high quality Drotops armatus is prone position. He has all the spikes (the real test to my equipment. I will just start with the photos of my subject.

Armatus-01.JPG

Armatus-02.JPG

Armatus-03.JPG

Armatus-04.JPG

Armatus-05.JPG

Armatus-06.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Next is the scan data. This Trilobite was scanned in 6 setups. The data was then merged into a watertight STL file for downstream applications. I will now show some views of the scanned trilobite.

Armatus-1.JPG

Armatus-2.JPG

Armatus-3.JPG

Armatus-4.JPG

Armatus-5.JPG

Armatus-6.JPG

Armatus-7JPG.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 3

Magnificent ! This is the first time I see a "armor" above the eyes of a trilobite !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Drotops armatus original , Scan, and 3D printing project

Wow that's really cool and a very cool trilobite, I love all the spikes

2 hours ago, Coco said:
Magnificent ! This is the first time I see a "armor" above the eyes of a trilobite !

Coco

Trilobites have eyelashes too

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Cleaning up the STL file and putting the model was done in CAD software. I use "Convergent Modelling". This is a module added to the Siemens software that was used to finish the design process. "Convergent Modelling" allows Boolean operations to a mesh object using normal solid objects such as block, cylinder, or any other solid object. Below you can see that I aligned the model to the world coordinate system (WCS), trimmed off the original matrix, added two fasteners to the new base.

Armatus-8.JPG

Armatus-9.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

I have scaled this model up by 2X for a few reasons. One being that the spikes are so fragile and small. The filament used is 1.75 mm diameter. In some cases this cased the print to fail. I will be doing some handwork to remove the hair that goes between the  spikes. I might have to use a manual weld pen to fix a few that broke off.

The other reason is so that I can place my model in my living room and see him from my work station. (my eyes are bad) Bigger is better !!

DSCN1085.JPG

DSCN1086.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

14 hours ago, MattJ said:

Cleaning up the STL file and putting the model was done in CAD software. I use "Convergent Modelling". This is a module added to the Siemens software that was used to finish the design process. "Convergent Modelling" allows Boolean operations to a mesh object using normal solid objects such as block, cylinder, or any other solid object.

I hardly understood a word, but that doesn't matter to me now that I've seen the 3D print which emerges. It works! Will you be coloring it as well?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

38 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I hardly understood a word, but that doesn't matter to me now that I've seen the 3D print which emerges. It works! Will you be coloring it as well?

First step is to remove the "hairs". These are causes as the printer traverses between the spikes. After he is cleaned up, then I will see. It would be neat to see if I could replicate the color of the original model. For future projects, I have "Dark Chocolate" plastic. This closely resembles the color of my Barrandeops Trilobite.