Looking for Paleocene/Eocene shark dentition resources

bthemoose

Hi all, I'm looking for photos or good illustrations of dentitions from a few different sharks from the Paleocene and Eocene to help improve my recognition and to learn better how their teeth varied across the jaw. These could be natural/associated sets or artificial/constructed ones.

The sharks I'm looking for are:

• Jaekelotodus robustus
  • Palaeohypotodus rutoti
  • Brachycarcharias lerichei
  • Isurolamna inflata

Can anyone point me toward resources for any of these? If you know of dentitions from different species within these genera, those would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Edited by bthemoose

• bthemoose changed the title to Looking for Paleocene/Eocene shark dentition resources
1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

These could be natural/associated sets or artificial/constructed ones.

Hi there,

Elasmo has a decent set online for Brachycarcharias

Artificial set: Brachycarcharias lerichei

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/brachycarcharias.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks @Brett Breakin' Rocks! I was looking at the separate fossil tooth sets section of the site and forgot to check out the genera pages. I wish they had the lingual faces shown too, but that is a very helpful image.

4 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Hi all, I'm looking for photos or good illustrations of dentitions from a few different sharks from the Paleocene and Eocene to help improve my recognition and to learn better how their teeth varied across the jaw. These could be natural/associated sets or artificial/constructed ones.

The sharks I'm looking for are:

• Jaekelotodus robustus
  • Palaeohypotodus rutoti
  • Brachycarcharias lerichei
  • Isurolamna inflata

Can anyone point me toward resources for any of these? If you know of dentitions from different species within these genera, those would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Hi B,

I'm not aware of a dentition for Isurolamna, J. robustus, nor Palaeohypotodus.  David Ward might have "puzzles" he's working on.  Gordon Hubbell has a partial dentition of J. trigonalis but it's a weird one (probably because it happens to be from an aged individual) proving that there's a lot of variation in species.  Look at the examples on elasmo and check other sites for rarer jaw positions.

Jess

Jess 

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi B,

I'm not aware of a dentition for Isurolamna, J. robustus, nor Palaeohypotodus.  David Ward might have "puzzles" he's working on.  Gordon Hubbell has a partial dentition of J. trigonalis but it's a weird one (probably because it happens to be from an aged individual) proving that there's a lot of variation in species.  Look at the examples on elasmo and check other sites for rarer jaw positions.

Jess

Jess 

Thanks for the info, Jess!