grg1109

I purchased some fossil rocks from a friend who visited the Cincinnati area as well as western Indiana...and a Boy Scout Camp.  He told me it was Orcovician or Silurian.  I'm looking for id on the bivalves on the "plate".  Sorry, my bad! It's actually from the Deep Run Member here in the Finger Lakes Region of NYS. The bivalve is: Pseudoaviculopecten princeps. So much fun getting older!

Thanks

Greg

Pterinea demissa.jpg

Unknown bivalve plate.jpg

Edited by grg1109
  • Enjoyed 1

Perhaps Aviculopecten or one of the similar Paleozoic pectinids? I’ve rarely had luck IDing them without them being specifically described from a specific formation.

Thanks...it very well could be, I think he got into some Devonian without realizing it.  The only names I remember are: Sharonsville, Ohio and St. Paul Quarry in Indiana.  This would be the second Devoinan "shell" I've found the first was a Atrypa bellula Brachiopod.  This info is wrong...this Brachiopod is  Atrypa reticularis and found in the Waldron Shale of the St. Paul Quarry.

Atrypa bellula...Spinatrypa spinosa.jpg

Edited by grg1109

The St. Paul Indiana quarry is in the Silurian Waldron Formation, and bivalves like that can be found there (I believe).

Don

So, I've looked up St. Paul Quarry in Indiana.  Although I recognize the rock layer that contained many of the fossils I found.  It did not include the one I'm looking for.  The Waldron Layer has a "White" matrix.  I did find the Brachiopod that I listed however...it's a Atrypa reticularis.  I removed the Brach's from the plate...I didn't realize how bad it looked until I took the photo...lol

Greg

Edited by grg1109

Sorry, my bad! It's actually from the Deep Run Member here in the Finger Lakes Region of NYS. The bivalve is: Pseudoaviculopecten princeps. So much fun getting older!