2 week exploration and collecting trip, day 3

hadrosauridae

For day 3, it was decided to go back to the Deers Ears butte.  Everyone was sore and worn out from 2 days of hiking, so a chance to stay in a single spot and dig would be a chance to rest.  My team went to the Tooth Draw quarry, the others went to other sites, including one new one.  The day started pretty slow, but then mid afternoon my son uncovered a tooth (havent determined T.Rex or Nano).  I was so proud of him, he did an expert job in recovery.  The tip was broken insitu and could have been easily separated or lost, but he was slow, careful and judicious with the paleobond and got the tooth out whole.  Now I need to find my photo scale to count serrations. This tooth has a lot of wear but there should be enough left to make a good count.

20210708_150330.thumb.jpg.032363b548f1bd94bb05d6616e78c009.jpg20210708_193759.thumb.jpg.c7df0a907ed1074002405efcde9ab3b3.jpg

Within half an hour, 2 more Rex teeth were uncovered by other diggers.  Another storm was building and there was worry we would have to jump and run again, so those with finds were trying to get them out quickly.  I began packing up my gear but the storm blew past us to the south, so we went back to digging. That was when my son found a Pachycephalosaur hornlet!

20210708_193707.thumb.jpg.090d8cf81c6d39fc42be49421075ea76.jpg

It was kind of funny because at first it looked like just another BOB, but as my son scraped away some more matrix from it he said "Its got a weird wrinkled texture."  When I looked at it close I yelled " I know what that is!!"  For those unfamiliar, Pachy material is VERY limited, so this piece is going to be made available for research and study.  As rare as this little find was, it would be dwarfed by a find from another group that day.  Someone found a Pachy skull dome at one of the new sites!  I was hoping Walter would be so excited that he would prep it out that night, but he had other things that needed attention, so we only got to see the dome. Any attached hornlets were still in the matrix block. Hoping that he posts some prepped pics soon!

So 2 more good finds from my son, but I struck out this day.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 14

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin