Crustations, barnacles or what

Shellseeker

My wife and I celebrated her birthday last night at a local restaurant on the beach. It was lovely.  The Inn & Restaurant have been in existence for over 120 years, and in the lobby have a seashell exhibit filled with shells that were found about 100 years ago.

I noticed some incrustations on a Turkey Wing sea shell that I did not recognize...

I am hopeful some one can easily identify, so I can check out what they looked like as fossils. @digit @MikeR @Coco  Thanks , Jack

TurkeyWing.JPG.a1d59a3cf8e3821bc9456ec0ef403422.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi,

They look like nice corals.

Coco

• I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yes they are corals.  I think Phyllangia americana which can also be found as a fossil in Upper Pliocene Tamiami deposits.  LINK

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Yup,  P. americana seems a good fit for this one. This is a colonial cup coral that forms singular cup-like corallites that tend to be joined into clusters at the base. The common name is Hidden Cup Coral as it is often found on cave ceilings and secluded overhangs. Interesting to see one encrusting a bivalve.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks to all.  What a great resource is TFF and you make it so...

A little Info on the way back:

WikipediaFossils.JPG.97bf8ef49d94f4eeb6c36d2164f0bd4a.JPGWikipediaModern.JPG.2af31115c5603ddd9ead02c091bc50ea.JPG873665236_MadreporadiMouchez(Phyllangiamouchezi)19-10-200912_03_46.JPG.c8d4b757790b80f0614740b010722c98.JPG

And here is a website that raises and sells the pretty little corals..  They are very reasonable in price BUT I would have to buy a salt water aquarium to keep them alive !!! That might be pricey .:headscratch:

https://gulfspecimen.org/specimen/coelenterata/encrusting-hard-corals/

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"