Big Brook Whatsits!

RFausta

Hello all! After a long time away, I managed to get myself down to New Jersey to fossil hunt! Sadly, it was this last Friday, and over 95 degrees, so I was not as productive as I had hoped, and spent a lot of time sitting on my butt, boots in the water, just kind of vaguely looking around. (If anyone was suffering there with me friday, i was wearing a barfing t-rex shirt and was probably alarmingly pink in the face).
However, I got a passable haul of shark teeth, belemnites, and quite a few dunnos! 
The larger one in matrix i suspect is a crustacean claw, the weird conical one maybe a weathered internal cast of a gastropod (it has some vaguely spiral markings on it), the holey one maybe part of a hybodont spine? 
The smooth curved one has zero distinguishing features and does not appear hollow but is extremely smooth and dense. The tiny cone is perfectly conical, not a pinched oval. The curved bone- fish jaw? All assistance appreciated! The scale is one inch.

F8DD90C7-954A-4098-97C9-A0CC2651C9C4.jpeg

6134C13B-46DF-49FB-9C2F-00B4F365FE73.jpeg

88320D65-38F8-4A4E-83B1-17EF0595FC11.jpeg

F8FF7FB6-C2DA-4707-9CA5-AE6491E97EC8.jpeg

9B51FE5D-1ABE-497C-90A9-927CDD1552B0.jpeg

71CDC0B2-D6BB-480B-942A-F23CD9879C19.jpeg

Edited by RFausta

The crustacean is likely a ghost shrimp.

The smooth bent cylinder is what is thought to be a worm tube steinkern.

The cone with a spiral form is quite likely a chondrichthyan  coprolite.

The bone has a definite Enchodus jaw look.

The last one is suggestive of a Belemnite phragomocone, but I can't actually say it is a mold of one.

• I Agree 3

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The crustacean is likely a ghost shrimp.

The smooth bent cylinder is what is thought to be a worm tube steinkern.

The cone with a spiral form is quite likely a chondrichthyan  coprolite.

The bone has a definite Enchodus jaw look.

The last one is suggestive of a Belemnite phragomocone, but I can't actually say it is a mold of one.

Awesome! Any opinions on the curved one with the rectangular holes? 

7 hours ago, RFausta said:

Any opinions on the curved one with the rectangular holes?

It would stink.

2 hours ago, RFausta said:

Ok, I am gonna dig deep into the list of people that have been helpful before on Big Brook stuff for me.. @fossilsofnj. @The Jersey Devil  @Carl @frankh8147  

I can't add anything to Rockwood's post - I agree with him completely - except that the 2nd photo, which seems to be a piece that was attached in the first photo, appears to be a bivalve steinkern, but there's not enough detail to be certain.

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, Carl said:

I can't add anything to Rockwood's post - I agree with him completely - except that the 2nd photo, which seems to be a piece that was attached in the first photo, appears to be a bivalve steinkern, but there's not enough detail to be certain.

I was just using it to prop up the first piece for a better angle, hehe. Separate things! :)

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, RFausta said:

I was just using it to prop up the first piece for a better angle, hehe. Separate things! :)

:thumbsu: