Trevor

Dear Forum Members,

I am interested in hearing whether or not anyone here has played around with interesting or exotic displays for their fossils, or in hearing if anyone has created fossil

art from the usual materials (e.g. paints, pencils, etc...) or from digital tools (e.g. neural style transfer, digital drawing platforms, etc...).

I have used a machine learning technique called neural style transfer to take the following artwork, extract its style, and apply it to an image of a fossil.

I have also tried to do some stuff with TSP (Traveling Salesperson Art), which a technique from linear optimization that allows one to make continuous line

drawings.

The inputs are an exogyra mollusk and a mosasaur tooth found by me.

I am interested in seeing anyone's fossil art, so please post it here if you want!

NEURAL STYLE TRANSFER

Styles

starry_night.jpg.b022195398deeda2544301f1f04ca7d1.jpg

the_scream.thumb.jpg.0c0ba0a497fea5d55554aa007801b17f.jpg

Inputs

1973348353_ScreenShot2021-07-18at5_10_09PM.thumb.png.97c1385518d7580be066f22a98c7309a.png

1793644742_ScreenShot2021-07-18at4_45_29PM.thumb.png.14c5502f48e093c6dcbd7b2c58647109.png

Outputs

out_900.png.d5c3d617989542cf75fdf420ccc1ab7f.png

549492001_ScreenShot2021-07-18at5_11_15PM.thumb.png.43db54df953173f947a9c3beabaeae34.png

out_900(3).png.91fd485a1af5b8726efaeaf1f4421d92.png

TRAVELING SALESPERSON ART

Voronoi Stippling

805568012_ScreenShot2021-07-18at5_05_23PM.thumb.png.e88d4bc37025d3bf98f558373a0a0090.png

Continuous Line Drawing

1768134342_ScreenShot2021-07-18at5_06_37PM.png.a1bdf3c7d238f6d30ec2fd625186c485.png

Edited by Trevor
  • Enjoyed 6

: )

Have you looked through here, http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/186-paleo-re-creations/ 

I have tried drawing realistic black and white but may try different ways like you've shown here where it still looks just like it but clearly not like a photo. These are cool and thanks for giving me new ideas :)

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Cool stuff! I especially like the continuous line drawing. I'm comparatively more traditional, the process is more satisfying IMO. I haven't done much art on fossils per se, save this work in progress done on my tablet (AMNH 5027 - started last year after seeing it in person):

2087795317_Untitled_Artwork6.thumb.jpg.6c093ab49683136f8fcdfc252326d2a4.jpg

@Kane and @Ludwigia definitely have made me want to start up again. Look forward to seeing all kinds of artistry here!

• Enjoyed 6

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

5 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Have you looked through here, http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/186-paleo-re-creations/ 

I have tried drawing realistic black and white but may try different ways like you've shown here where it still looks just like it but clearly not like a photo. These are cool and thanks for giving me new ideas :)

Wow, I had no idea this existed! I've been on the forum for 9 years and never saw this! Thank you!!!!

: )

11 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Cool stuff! I especially like the continuous line drawing. I'm comparatively more traditional, the process is more satisfying IMO. I haven't done much art on fossils per se, save this work in progress done on my tablet (AMNH 5027 - started last year after seeing it in person):

2087795317_Untitled_Artwork6.thumb.jpg.6c093ab49683136f8fcdfc252326d2a4.jpg

@Kane and @Ludwigia definitely have made me want to start up again. Look forward to seeing all kinds of artistry here!

That is very cool! You wrote "on my tablet", but it looks to me like a pencil drawing?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Your artwork made me smile. I enjoyed seeing these varied styles applied to fossil depictions.   Crab-in-Pot-Well-Done.gif.51c137730a829917031aef88e39bc4ad.gif

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

6 hours ago, Trevor said:

I am interested in seeing anyone's fossil art

I am always interested in the fossil as art ... or rather, trying to capture the detail that is sometimes overlooked. It is a slow process but I've got several like this in the works. 

il_1140xN.2078346267_44cq.thumb.jpg.e892e06c4d25a3f60a0c86bf63f200bf.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• Enjoyed 5

5 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I am always interested in the fossil as art ... or rather, trying to capture the detail that is sometimes overlooked. It is a slow process but I've got several like this in the works. 

il_1140xN.2078346267_44cq.thumb.jpg.e892e06c4d25a3f60a0c86bf63f200bf.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Can you please describe how you created this?

I do stylized pen and ink artworks of fossils. They are obviously not intended to be realistic, but I do try to be true to physiology within the stylization. These are fairly small - 5 x 7. 

1899196513_echinsmall.thumb.jpg.f2a21e1923dc3b1d7e1e6de0be3a8789.jpg

518817010_trilo4small.thumb.jpg.77728835d70152c05eb334c4061775a4.jpg

294933_amm1small.thumb.jpg.47ca6fd1eb4199d6ee8a140299279f09.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

17 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That is very cool! You wrote "on my tablet", but it looks to me like a pencil drawing?

That's exactly what I intended. The wonderful app I'm using (Procreate) has a variety of customizable brushes that mimic traditional media: pencils, pens, paint, airbrushes, you name it.

• Enjoyed 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Can you please describe how you created this?

Hi There,

The basic premise is to capture a good scan of the tooth. Here is a great guide from Elasmo.com

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=refs/terms/scanning.html&menu=bin/menu_refs-alt.html

I'll pull the hi resolution scan into Photoshop and do some cleanup and slight color correction and enhancements to bring out the detail. A modern version of burn and dodge, removing dust and scratches etc....  I try to stay away from tweaking the colors/texture too much, I don't want it looking like I hit it hard with an Instagram filter.

Any other questions let me know !

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

That's exactly what I intended. The wonderful app I'm using (Procreate) has a variety of customizable brushes that mimic traditional media: pencils, pens, paint, airbrushes, you name it.

Does that mean that you are using the mouse to guide your 'brushes'? Aren't the precise movements difficult to control?

7 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

I do stylized pen and ink artworks of fossils. They are obviously not intended to be realistic, but I do try to be true to physiology within the stylization.

Very nice! They may be stylized, but you have to be able to accentuate the main essentials to be as successful at it as you are.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Does that mean that you are using the mouse to guide your 'brushes'? Aren't the precise movements difficult to control?

I use the old apple pencil. It's very precise, with essentially no lag. It takes some getting used to but works well.