PetrosTrilobite

Is this a real Afrovenator tooth? This tooth have repair/restoration?

23248ba0-a782-41f7-8286-6a2bb5b7a897.jpg

e1c2a7fe-bbf4-4049-8dd4-219d3aebb3de.jpg

b26f4cca-85c6-4909-9118-514acbe40189.jpg

Edited by PetrosTrilobite

Pretty hard to determine without a locality, formation and poor preservation.  Are any of the carinae visible?

• I found this Informative 1
PetrosTrilobite

We don't have more photos. Ok, if not Afrovenator, is at least a real jurassic Niger theropod tooth?

Without a locality or formation how can you say its Jurassic?  There are lots of Cretaceous deposits around the Jurassic ones.  Provenance is very important in identification 

18 minutes ago, PetrosTrilobite said:

We don't have more photos. Ok, if not Afrovenator, is at least a real jurassic Niger theropod tooth?

What is the location info given?  There are tons of cretaceous & jurassic sites in Niger.  Do you have a photo of the messial carinae or the cross-section

It looks like a tooth from Niger.   Is the formation provided accurate?  Its always a problem with material from Niger because the deposits are very close to one another.  Also a good locality to support the formation would help.  

A better preserved tooth might aid in understand its provenance since the morphology might say its a meglosaurid 

Is that a recent purchase? I think it's the same source, but I see a dozen or so of large croc or Sarcosuchus and some Eocarcharia listed from Gadoufaoua, and a single Jurassic Theropod indet. from Tiouraren Hill.

I'd probably try and get some clarification on the provenance. Whether they got their locales via the digger directly, or just a guess based on how it looks.

Yea it could be Croc but would need better photos to determine that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I would be very careful with this purchase. 
I had a tooth examined a few weeks back listed as Suchomimus, but it appeared to be a Croq tooth. It was from the same source, thats why I mention it. I don't trust it.

Also @Haravex has made a video about these specific tooth, perhaps you have already seen it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CR2N2sfKvzH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Better safe then sorry I guess

Best Regards

Egon