Ammonites in rock found at Lyme Regis

Eloise

Hello! 

Found these ammonites (?) in a rock at Lyme Regis today but not sure how (if possible) I could extract them and see if there's more in the rock? Also I'd be interested to know the minerals they are made of if anyone knows. There's also a few sparkly crystal looking bits in the rock. 

Thanks! 

Eloise (:

IMG_20210719_140321.jpg

IMG_20210719_140315.jpg

IMG_20210719_140244.jpg

IMG_20210719_140236.jpg

IMG_20210719_140225.jpg

IMG_20210719_140203.jpg

IMG_20210719_140207.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Yes, these are ammonites and there are indeed some more. The sample could yield a very, very appealing fossil specimen when properly prepped. But looks like, this one is for prep experts with experience with such material.

@Ludwigia

Concerning minerals, these seem to be calcite steinkerns (internal molds). Could be, that original shell is also preserved (calcite replacing aragonite), but I am not sure.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, these are ammonites and there are indeed some more. The sample could yield a very, very appealing fossil specimen when properly prepped. But looks like, this one is for prep experts with experience with such material.

@Ludwigia

Concerning minerals, these seem to be calcite steinkerns (internal molds). Could be, that original shell is also preserved (calcite replacing aragonite), but I am not sure.

Franz Bernhard

Oh wow thanks! What sort of tools and techniques do people use to extract such fossils? 

Eloise

7 minutes ago, Eloise said:

What sort of tools and techniques do people use to extract such fossils?

I am not a fossil preper, but this one would need classic power prep tools like air scribes, I think. And as a first step possibly a rock saw. But lets see, what the experts have to say! I am thinking of producing a matrix specimen, of course, not individual ammonites ;).

@Bobby Rico, @TqB

Have you tried googling for similar stuff from that area?

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 2
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Eloise said:

Oh wow thanks! What sort of tools and techniques do people use to extract such fossils? 

Eloise

If you peruse some of the articles in this section, then you'll get lots of information to your question. There are also some articles dealing with Yorkshire ammonites to be found. A set-up with pneumatic styluses and air abraders would of course be ideal, but you probably don't have them, right? One could take a chance at splitting the concretion with a hammer and chisel, but one needs a bit of experience to know exactly where to set the chisel.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yesterday I found a rock in similar condition, but with a pair of brachiopods (if I'm not mistaken),
Now I have to study how to attack the rock, to try to rescue them without damaging them, preparing them in a matrix will be impossible, I only have hand tools.:unsure:

• Enjoyed 1

14 hours ago, Eloise said:

Found these ammonites (?) in a rock at Lyme Regis

Hi I think the ammonites are probably Promicroceras planicosta . They are quite common but can be very beautifully preserved in calcite , the matrix I think is limestone. You need them preparing with professional tools, they prep easily but sadly I don’t have the tools. Looks like you may have a great display piece there.

cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

great specimen :) there are many professional preparators in the uk, if you would like the details of one to send this piece to pm me

Deffinetly a cool rock.  and who doesnt like multi's.  Good luck, this would look really good prepped out

RB