Massive Spinosaurus Claw and Skull

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Point being replicas exist 

Not just that. They make them in different sizes...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

As has been said, no Spinosaurus in Pourrières.

I think we have to run away from this dishonest merchant.

The only goal is for him to make money. It doesn't matter what information about the fossils he sells. And a fossil that comes from France sells more than a fossil that comes from Morocco

• I Agree 2

Thanks for the many new opinions. The way it looks now from my understanding the Claw looks good and has a chance to be real. But its still a gamble. The Skill looks towards a replica to lure in customers, what seems logic. (But I would just say its a replica, kids would still love it)

this afternoon I will get back to him and ask more questions, mostly about the location and the time when he did found it. And also if there is a certificate 

if I can’t get the right info I will probably offer him 1/4 of the price he is selling. As a gamble offer.  

visually I want it for my collection. It looks stunning and its the biggest i have seen. 

so i will keep you guys posted! Thanks for the many usefull reply’s!! 

best regards

12 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

certificate

Does not count for anything. Anybody can print a certificate out. They are not worth keeping, sorry .

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I Agree 7

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Does not count for anything. Anybody can print a certificate out. They are not worth keeping, sorry .

Yeah thats true I guess. They would only put their own reputation on the line. They don’t have a website tho its like an old shop (what is ok) just trying to get as much provenance as possible

10 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Yeah thats true I guess. They would only put their own reputation on the line. They don’t have a website tho its like an old shop (what is ok) just trying to get as much provenance as possible

Please never rely on certification where fossil are concerned.

Educating yourself  is the best way of guaranteeing that you build a great collection and Frank (troodon) told me this and he knows his stuff.

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Their reputation is only on the line once you decide to not trust their printout. Who's going to find out that somebody else has been duped by him anyway? It's a big world, greed runs a small shop, and by the sound of it, most of his customers are tourists - that his, non-returning customers - anyway. Also, a certificate of authenticity doesn't tell you too much about provenance. I've got a couple here at home that I got with fossils I felt confident about myself before purchase (which is the way to go), and the information on them is negligible.

Trust in the combined experience of ther people on this forum. We've all had pitfalls and are the wiser for it. When new to the game it can come as a surprise how rough it's being played, but that, unfortunately, is just the nature of the game. And the sooner you figure out the rules, the less you'll get hurt...

37 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

The way it looks now from my understanding the Claw looks good and has a chance to be real.

visually I want it for my collection. It looks stunning and its the biggest i have seen.

If you like the claw and can get it for a price that's right for you, go for it by all means. However, know that the fact that some concerns have been voiced by experienced forum members should be interpreted rather as "avoid, but there's a chance that it'll turn out to have been good". Similar message, just different point of departure...

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Most bad decisions made purchasing fossils are those that are impulsive "anyway the claw is calling my name , it wants me to take it home"   

Do you feel qualified to examine by hand ?  Can you trust anything the seller says?

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Most bad decisions made purchasing fossils are those that are impulsive "anyway the claw is calling my name , it wants me to take it home"   

Do you feel qualified to examine by hand ?  Can you trust anything the seller says?

I definitely im not qualified to examine. Sadly. 

it looked good in real, but I agree with everyone here. It could be a gem, but its questionable at this moment. And most likely he is not telling the full story. 

anyway a small update:

We have talked again , I did not get wiser then yesterday. He said the same thing, it was found in France. And that he also has found a sort of Raptor claw. At this private property location.  My guess is dat he is talking about the Marrokan Raptor. I believe its named Arcovinator to make the link with the Spino.  He also told us the Spino claw is 100% unrepaired and found like this. 

without TFF I would have bought it. Altough the guy from the shop is still a little suspicious against me. I don’t understand if he would just be a little more informative it would give more trust. 

9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Bobby Rico. You’re joking? I bought a Piltdown skull with a CoA. Are you telling me it could’ve fake? I’m gutted.

Edited by Welsh Wizard
  • Enjoyed 4

Let's keep in mind that the focus of this topic is the 'fossils' - not the shop or its owner.  

If you can get additional, detailed images of any interesting spots on the claw, they may reveal more about its authenticity.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

21 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

@Bobby Rico. You’re joking? I bought a Piltdown skull with a CoA. Are you telling me it could’ve fake? I’m gutted.

Sadly I think you are “missing the link” haha

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 3

27 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Are you telling me it could’ve fake?

The CoA, at least ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

52 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

He also told us the Spino claw is 100% unrepaired and found like this. 

It is nice to pickup something when your are on holiday but this claw had a lot  of red flags . The provenance was more than questionable . Better to keep looking I think. 

• I Agree 2

On 7/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, JohnJ said:

It may be my imagination, but the grain of the bone suggests it is carved.  There also appears to be grinding marks along the dorsal curve, and there are weird shifts in surface texture.  The color change from the outer surface to the groove doesn't seem right.

1741705876_Capture_2021-07-20-11-09-132.png

2052095004_Capture_2021-07-20-11-12-193.png

Hello thanks for pointing this out. To me it looked like the point were they have stumbled on the fossil perhaps while escavalating. A slight damage to the claw. Ill add a photo were you can perhaps see it better. It seem to look like bone structure

800C986E-F057-49CB-A2A6-2AC644DE2763.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

It is nice to pickup something when your are on holiday but this claw had a lot  of red flags . The provenance was more than questionable . Better to keep looking I think. 

Perhaps your right. If I was just told it was from Kem Kem, I would probably have bought it already lol. 

It looks like something is coating the bone to me.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thats is the key which needs to be examined.  Is its natural matrix or a matrix covering resto.  It does not exist on the other side why?   Photos are not good here it needs to be hand examined.  I also suggested via PM that he use a UV light to see if anything pops and that he contact, provided email,  a French paleontologist/dealer who might have some insight into all of this.

The whole thing is dodgy... I would not touch it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The claw is real as is the limb bone I've seen this before up north near erfoud preservation is similar its common for hard sandstone to be stuck sometimes, also notice someone has tried prepping it and given up half way through. But this certainly is not from France.

claw.thumb.jpg.3c22be8b50fc5680cc1e04196431468e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Haravex said:

The claw is real as is the limb bone I've seen this before up north near erfoud preservation is similar its common for hard sandstone to be stuck sometimes, also notice someone has tried prepping it and given up half way through. But this certainly is not from France.

claw.thumb.jpg.3c22be8b50fc5680cc1e04196431468e.jpg

Thank you for this! 
so yo have seen this exact Claw? Or the same texture ? 

the prepping part seems clear now that you mentioned it on that upper part. Very unfortunate they did not tell me the real story I would have probably bought it. With the real truth on location and minor restoration this is still an amazing piece.  I don’t like lies. 

Btw still waiting for your video on Croq teeth :ptero: 

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Haravex said:

also notice someone has tried prepping it and given up half way through.

I saw this spot on the first sight, but could not make any sense of it! Thanks for pointing it out, this makes real sense now!

So, a rather nice/typical specimen, with a rather poor story attached to it :(. That´s a pity!

What I also noted at the first sight was the custom made stand. Not everyones taste, of course, but some time was put into making it. Consider making all the screw holes!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I Agree 1

50 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

So, a rather nice/typical specimen, with a rather poor story attached to it :(. That´s a pity!

It's the poor story that makes the piece expensive ;)

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

It's the poor story that makes the piece expensive ;)

Perhaps with the right people who know what they are doing, they could turn this piece to an even nicer example. 

The claw is still in my head. I want one for my collection