Cretaceous fossils from Limburg (the Netherlands) and Belgium (B).

Fossilsforever

Hello All,

Some photo's/images taken after fossil hunting trips to Limburg and Belgium.

These are Cretaceous fossils (73 and/or 72-66 million year old, late-late Campanian, early Maastrichtian). 

For the most part the squid-like Belemnites (Belemnitella sp./Belemnitella junior (Nowak, 1913) or B. mucronata (Von Schlotheim, 1830) and other species (Belemnella sp.). Also Sea urchins (Echnicoroys sp.) and one piece of a Hemipneustes sp. or (possibly) Hemipneustes striatoradiatus (Leske, 1778). Also one oyster Pycnodonte vesicularis (Lamarck, 1806) and one small Sea urchin. Most fossils are found in the ground, in sediment and/or in water ('beek'). 

Last photo: quarry in Belgium (Cretaceous Chalk sediments). 

The Echinocorys sp. is incomplete but quite big (my girlfriend found it and was very happy. A quite rare and big fossil from that location:thumbsu: 

Photo 1: Echinocorys sp. and Belemnitella and/or Belemnella sp. Parts of the sea urchin are in flint ('vuursteen'). Echinocorys is one of the most common species of sea urchins (Echinoidea) found in Limburg. 

Echinocorys sp. en belemnieten Gulpen en omgeving.jpg

Photo 2: Belemnitella junior (Nowak, 1913) and/or Belemnitella mucronata (Von Schlotheim, 1830), piece of Hemipneustes sp., one small Sea urchin (possibly Oolopygus sp. The exact species is possibly Oolopygus pyriformis (Leske, 1778). 

Fossielen België en Limburg (omgeving Gulpen).jpg

Photo 3: idem (Belemnitella/Belemnella sp.). One is embedded in chalk. 

1050166384_BelemnietenBelgi.jpg

Photo 4: Pycnodonte vesicularis (Lamarck, 1806), Cardiaster granulosus (Goldfuss, 1829), Belemnitella sp. and Belemnella sp. These fossils were found in water and in a field. 

Fossielen Pesaken.jpg

Photo 5: Quarry at Belgium. 

339257393_GroeveMarnebel(B).jpg

Edited by Fossilsforever
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 7

• 1 month later...

These fossils remind me of when I was a kid and I lived in the south of Limburg.  I'm glad to see it is still possible to collect there, I had heard that all the quarries were closed.

Don