Hi! I'm having trouble ID-ing this ~4.4cm long mammal tooth from China.
It was labelled as Playbelodon, though the lack of cusps makes me doubt that assessment. I'm starting to wonder if it's a Proboscidean at all, and if it's an entirely different family of mammal alltogether. Does anyone have an idea on what this could potentially be? 

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

ziggycardon

Looks Gomphothere like to me :) 
So Platybelodon would be a good guess. 

• Thank You 1
Harry Pristis

Platybelodon is a reasonable guess, or Sinomastodon.  Your teeth must be "milk" teeth.gomphothere_chinese_pair.thumb.JPG.4b75c1f9b749f70eaad2425c9d57ee63.JPG

gomphothere_chinese_newlyerupted.JPG.f66bdd05a573f09044da657a6405b0c0.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Learned something new 1

Thank you @Harry Pristis and @ziggycardon for the kind help! 

So are the cusps and flat surfaces seen on mature teeth present due to wear & tear from grinding vegetation? (the potential reason why my specimen shows intact crowns?) Or are they a morphological feature of the animal?

Also, for most gomphothere / platybelodon teeth I've seen on the internet, each tooth displays 3 distinct peaks. My specimen on the other hand only seems to display 2. Is this a cause for concern? 

On 7/22/2021 at 5:05 AM, Flaffy said:

So are the cusps and flat surfaces seen on mature teeth present due to wear & tear from grinding vegetation? (the potential reason why my specimen shows intact crowns?) Or are they a morphological feature of the animal?

The flattened surfaces of the teeth are signs of wear and tear from eating the plants, it is a sign that the animal was a certain age. We see this on mammalian teeth in general.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1