rudists to see

marguy

Hello,

my wife and I went to Charente to meet uncles and aunts that we had not seen for several years.

A few kilometers from their home, walls and old houses in a hamlet are built with recycled materials: rudist fossils !!!

here are some photos (on the first, it was not the cars that threw the fossils :heartylaugh:)

We walked through the surrounding countryside but the vegetation covers the ground, and only a corn field and a walnut plantation left some bare land where we found mostly broken pieces, but in the end a nice coral and 2 decent rudists for our pleasure.

Enjoy. (I think @FranzBernhard in particular will appreciate ...)

DSCN2081.JPG

DSCN2089.JPG

DSCN2085.JPG

DSCN2094.JPG

DSCN2091.JPG

DSCN2095.JPG

DSCN2101.JPG

DSCN2102.JPG

DSCN2077.JPG

DSCN2079.JPG

DSCN2080.JPG

DSCN2104.JPG

DSCN2108.JPG

DSCN2110.JPG

Edited by marguy
correction, not turonian but campanian
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 11

What an absolutely wonderful wall! A Wonderwall. :b_love1:

Whatever you do, do not give the precise location to @FranzBernhard or there will be a much smaller wall there. :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

there will be a much smaller wall there.

I can invite Franz or tell him the precise location, but the inhabitants of the hamlet will be vigilant so that visitors respect their walls, as I did, with only photos ;)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2

Thanks for sharing, that´s really a "Great Wall" :default_faint:.

37 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

here will be a much smaller wall there. 

No problem, I am only collecting in my home country. Well, maybe one specimen...? ;)

31 minutes ago, marguy said:

I can invite Franz or tell him the precise location,

Yeah, that would be really nice to travel around in Europe and observe fossils or making hunting trips with local experts. Not to collect for myself - well, here and there a specimen, maybe - but just looking and help working and digging. I have enough to do with the fossils just a few km away from me :BigSmile:.

@marguy, do you know what these are? Radiolitids with some pseudopillars? Maybe I have seen them somewhere before, but can not remember. Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

, do you know what these are?

essentially Lapeirousia jouanetti (+ very rare Hippurites radiosus )

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Maybe I have seen them somewhere before, but can not remember

i think i posted pictures a few years ago but i didnt look for the link

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

:o  Wow... That wall implies that there is some place nearby like a quarry that is loaded with rudists.... or maybe it is all overgrown/buried by now?

There is no quarry, but the top of the reef is visible in the base of a village house wall with some fossils in place, and fossils for these walls have been collected from the surface in cultivated fields since the 19th century. Now, around the village, there are few cultivated areas with plowing and therefore few fossils often reduced to pieces ...