State Sand and Gravel Pit Fossil Site Location?

CarbonTorrent

CarbonTorrent

Hello, I will be visiting Delaware next week and was looking for fossil sites to visit. I have already decided to visit Reedy Point on the C & D canal, but when visiting the Delaware Geological Survey's webpage about fossil sites I found mention of the state sand and gravel pit, which the webpage claims has plant impressions from the Pleistocene and can be found just south of Middletown on route 896. I tried looking online for information about this site and was only able to find this map with the site marked as number 4, but it does not give an exact location. Furthermore, the description provided is confusing, as it seems that route DE-896 does not go south of Middletown. Does anyone know anything about this site? Thanks.

I_gotta_rock

As far as I know, that site is now closed. Reedy Point is good pickings this week on the north side,but you have to go on the weekend because the National Guard is doing some maneuvers on weekdays for the next week or two. The south side is mostly gone, used for borrow. You might want to find a stretch of shoreline to walk, instead of the sand and gravel pit. There are lots of Paleozoic erratics among the cobble on the shore all along the Delaware River and Bay, but they aren't as easy to find as canal material.

Heck, I was going out to Reedy Point next weekend if the weather was good. LMK if you want company.

CarbonTorrent
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the heads up, was planning on going to the canal Thursday or Friday, and I'm not sure I can make it there on Saturday; I might end up at Calvert Cliffs instead.

Edit: I called someone at Fort DuPont State Park and they told me it is the state wildlife commission (or some organization like that, can't remember exactly) doing some work in the area and that I would be able to access it during the week.

Edited by CarbonTorrent