Dicraeosaurus teeth

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

I have inquired about a set of teeth-labelled as Dicraeosaurus, from South Tanzania. Tendaguru Formation. 

1 - 3.5 cm x 1cm

2 - 4 x 1.5cm

I had a look at the formation, and I see there are more than one diplodocid dinosaur from there. So, would  a more accurate label be "diplodocid tooth", or can these teeth be identified down to Dicraeosaurus. 

Many thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

The fauna in the Tendaguru formation is very similar to that of the Morrison formation so it should contain multiple Diplodocidae.   I've added photos of Dicraeosaurus teeth at the Berlin Museum so you can compare them . These appear to have cutting edges which I dont see with your specimens but the photos are not the best so a RED flag..

Screenshot_20210727-063036_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4757ab3ac5000b6c07416af74266a586.jpg

Like PT said above your teeth do look like a KK Titanosaurid tooth but I've seen that color preservation on teeth from Tanzania.  The upper and middle dinosaur member of the Tendaguru formation have red sandy marl deposits so the color may not be an issue.   I cannot say one way or another if its KK or T why your source must be trustworthy that its from Tanzania but It does look and feel like a KK tooth but just not sure.  Having said that dinosaur material from Tanzania is extremely rare in fact almost non-existent in open commercial markets.  So be careful...

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for taking a look. I will get some info from the seller on where they were actually obtained--direct from a source there or from a third party.

I got an update from the seller---bit of a mess with the location.

She had a look in the company's records, asked the company's paleontologist etc --- from a collection they bought a while ago with name and localit wrote by the past owner. Apparently NOT from Tanzania, but instead from Algerian Sahara. But, still says its Dicraerosaurus. From a dig by Albert-Felix de Lapparent, apparently.

I had a look--Dicraerosaurus  isn't from Algeria, so that rules that out. IF (and I guess it's a big if) the Algerian locality is correct, from what I can tell the Kem Kem Beds have overlap into Algeria (I used this paper about sauropod teeth: https://peerj.com/preprints/27286v1.pdf). 

I will not be buying this tooth because of the locality confusion and species confusion, but I will see if I can get a more specific location it was supposedly found if in Algeria. I suppose it will be interesting to know and useful to have posted here in case more supposed Algerian teeth come up.

Thanks for the help.