Going to a fossil expo

Jurassicz1

I'm going to a fossil expo in Sweden. I will buy mainly stuff from morocco, Lebanon, Madagascar and so on. But how do i notice and avoid fakes, Restorations and repair? Im fine with a fossil being repaired as many of the fossils from Morocco are repaired. I will mostly buy from a dealer that i have bought from many times, And hes a well known dealer. I have no worries from him as all i have bought has no fakes or restorations. But there will be other dealers that have fossils im looking for that the dealer i usually buy from does not have. And how do i know if a dealer is overpricing me also? 

Thanks for the tips in advance 

Unfortunately experience is best for spotting problems and pricing.  Look for disturbed matrix or changes in color around the specimen.  My best advice is bring a UV light (395 nm) and use it on everything.  Just because you've purchased from a dealer before does not mean its okay. Lots of dealers dont take the time to examine what they have, even well known ones.  

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, Troodon said:

Unfortunately experience is best for spotting problems and pricing.  Look for disturbed matrix or changes in color around the specimen.  My best advice is bring a UV light (395 nm) and use it on everything.  Just because you've purchased from a dealer before does not mean its okay. Lots of dealers dont take the time to examine what they have, even well known ones.  

Alright thanks for the answer!