Big find at Big Brook Preserve

devlincdev1997

I just took my friends out for a fossil trip their first time yesterday; where we could all get together and do something cool and introduce them to the fun pastime and interesting research I dabble in for my birthday. I should’ve known he’d have beginners luck but I was not expecting this find when he plucked it out from the water. They all had a blast and it was a beautiful day. Any and all input into trying to discern what creature it could’ve came from? The more the merrier!

E0F0D955-0550-4F6D-B9E3-D61A932F1893.png

A couple other angles 

365F0D30-1328-4E4D-A9EC-4793F1B469CC.jpeg

71FA8947-35AC-437D-819E-3ACAED440F8F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Looks like a modern deer vert

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Deer bones are common at Big Brook. They discolor quickly, look old but are modern. I have a small collection of various deer and small animal bones retrieved from the gravel bars. I find them interesting and value them as much as the true fossils I've found there.

• I found this Informative 3

• 6 months later...

We've found a number of relatively fresh deer bones at Big Brook.  Last time there were some bones that were still attached with ligaments and hair.  My daughter was not amused.  

• Enjoyed 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, TonyC said:

We've found a number of relatively fresh deer bones at Big Brook.  Last time there were some bones that were still attached with ligaments and hair.  My daughter was not amused.  

I am not sure why but this made my chuckle. 

Taking my daughter and boys there this weekend.   Anyone been there recently and have any luck?

Thanks!