Recommendations for Display Case

JT2

I was wondering what you all recommended for displaying your collection. My collection includes both rocks and fossils. One of my concerns is I have several pieces that weigh over 40 pounds so I needed something very sturdy. In addition, several of my pieces are about 16 inches in height so I need something with adjustable shelves. I prefer the style of an older looking antique bookcase. I have found many online but I am not sure if they are study enough without seeing it in person. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Of book cases, some members write that some types of wood can out gas and effect certain fossils. Do you want doors or open shelves. I like the look of the antique office type stacking book cases where the doors open up ward and slide in. Could be good for rocks and minerals although may need lights. Over 40 pounds, I would check dealers of used commercial office tables and shelves and warehouse benches if in your area. I assume you need local pick up if you have a vehicle or a friend, and where do you plan to put them. 

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer an open case but if the doors slide in that would be fine too. I was planning on putting lights throughout the case. I can order online or local pickup. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JT2 said:

they are study enough without seeing it in person.

Books aren´t really lightweight. Boxes of the same size, either filled with (wrapped) rocks or books are nearly of the same weight. So many "real" book cases should stand that weight.

Franz Bernhard

Put the big pieces on the bottom shelf and to one side or the other where there is support. Franz is right in that books can almost be as heavy as rocks so a strong bookcase will usually be just fine.

Outgassing of some wood is a bigger problem for minerals.  It is generally an issue over long periods.  Look up "archival grade" cabinets to find more info. Big deal for museums and university collections.