British marine reptile teeth, pliosaur? Ichthyosaur? Croc?

Per Christian

Hi everyone

I came across this box of marine reptile teeth from: Age 200 million/Rhaetic bone bed. I don't have the measurements of the fossils unfortunately, but do anyone see plesiosaur and ichthyosaur teeth here? I'd love it if there's pliosaur but probably not..

12AE80B9-7266-43A5-84C6-82F69ABF3418.jpeg

Screenshot_20210731-061635.png

1807714942_Capture_2021-07-31-00-50-232.png

Screenshot_20210731-061615.png

Most of these are fish teeth belonging to the species Severnichthys accuminatus. You can recognize them by their smooth conical tips resting on a regularly striated base. See her for some more information on helping you identify them:

Only the tooth on the right of the below photograph looks like a candidate for a marine reptile tooth to me. It's hard to make out the exact nature of the ornamentation, however, nor the presence or absence of carinae, so better photographs would be needed. What appears left of the root structure, however, to me suggests plesiosaur, in which case the striations would identify it as Eurycleidus arcuatus, and not a bad specimen art that either... But let's see if @Welsh Wizard agrees...

4 hours ago, Per Christian said:

1807714942_Capture_2021-07-31-00-50-232.png

Better photographs would, however, really be necessary, as I once acquired a tooth from this location, exactly thinking it was E. arcuatus, but it turned out to have carinae and show some amount of compression. As such, I had to conclude that that tooth too belonged to S. accuminatis (see the above thread for its determination)...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

This is quite interesting, thanks!! a bit disappointed most are fish teeth, but it's not surprising. Very useful knowing the difference between fish teeth and ichthyosaur for instance. I asked for close up pictures of each of the teeth, hopefully i get them. I'll be posting them here as soon as I get them. 

17 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Hi

Sorry but they all do look like fish teeth to me.

Nick

Thank you! This forum is amazing for identifying fossils, really appreciate it