Fossil bone fragment?

Corpy Bingles

I found this in a creekbed. The creek has cut down into a deep layer of clay about 40 feet and lots of interesting things are falling out of the clay. To me it looks like it could be part of a mouth with tooth sockets. 

hhuu.jpg

jh.jpg

qusdfas.jpg

DSC04190.JPG

DSC04191.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

I don't see any bone texture, or jaw morphology.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I sent the same pictures to the Burke museum in Seattle and a paleontologist there emailed me back and said it looks like a bone fragment. She wanted more detailed images which I sent but have not yet heard anything back. The thing that is most interesting to me is the symmetry of the angles in the first picture where indentations are. 

1 hour ago, Corpy Bingles said:

I sent the same pictures to the Burke museum in Seattle and a paleontologist there emailed me back and said it looks like a bone fragment. She wanted more detailed images which I sent but have not yet heard anything back. The thing that is most interesting to me is the symmetry of the angles in the first picture where indentations are. 

:popcorn:Interesting. Let us know if you get more information. It's always good to learn of an unusual preservation.

UPDATE:

Ok mystery solved the people at the Burke Museum emailed me back.

Thanks for your email and for the high quality photos. I forwarded your photos to our emeritus curator who is more familiar with volcanic and metamorphic rocks (which you have here!) and an expert in Washington state geology. She said this is quartzite, plus some metamorphic shale in between. It formed from at least 2 metamorphic events, and is most likely from the North Cascades. Mountain building events create some pretty nasty-looking but incredibly interesting rocks!
best-
katie

Explains why there were lots of interesting and unusual rocks in that area. 

I thought is speleothem, something close to "flowstone".

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library