Cement Saws for in situ fossils- Are they any good?

Biotalker

Hi, I have been looking to buy a gas cement saw for fossil extraction and as you know they are pretty expensive. Now on online, online, amazon, walmart and elsewhere, I see a lot of relatively cheap $340-380 gas powered cement saws (12"blades) being advertised.

2 Stroke 32.6cc Gas Power Cement Masonry Concrete Cut off Saw Air cooling 1200W

The company in the Amazon ad is LoyalheartDY?? (another ad in Amazon has Tbvechi as make with 14" blade but otherwise similar).  Does anyone know anything about these saws? or bought one and used it?

Does anyone have advice on any other cement saws?

cement saw.jpg

I've used them on shale and sandstone (rented, never owned one). They do work at extracting fossils from places you couldn't otherwise, or for trimming down big blocks that are too big and solid for the rock saw or hammer/chisel/etc, and often better than hammer+chisel as the latter can cause unpredictable fractures more than a controlled cut will. I would not say they are easy to use, and I couldn't provide a review of the different makes and models. Tricky to cut shale with them as it tends to splinter, but if you trim well away from the fossil and if possible stabilize (glue) the area you don't want to fracture, it can work.

Of course they create a lot of dust and you need a mask, unless you have a water source for cooling but that's not always possible out in the field. Also if you're not careful the blade can suddenly bind and get bent, and the good diamond blades expensive to replace! (I tried the carborundum type on sandstone and they are useless, they just heat up and spit out bits of lava. You need a proper diamond blade).

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Available parts and service? How long will a blade last if used dry? Where will you use it, and are they allowed on Government owned land, where a long pry bar may not be allowed? And at least one state no longer allows the sale of 2 stroke items like leaf blowers. All of what I would consider if looking to buy one and unlikely too ever need one but that's just me. So maybe someone here does own the model shown and will reply.

• I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Where will you use it, and are they allowed on Government owned land, where a long pry bar may not be allowed? 

Power tools not allowed to casually collect fossils on BLM and US Forest Service lands without a permit that is given to professional paleontologists.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=7b7796f0ea8fbf9aa22cf76da4fb5d09&mc=true&node=pt36.2.291&rgn=div5#se36.2.291_15

https://www.blm.gov/policy/im-2012-140

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Im sure youve heard of the saying, "you get what you pay for".  I payed $1250 for mine 10 years ago.  Still works and ive used it many many many times on many many many trips. 

RB

• I found this Informative 3

I'm inclined to agree with @RJB as far as getting what you pay for. Having said that, I have seen used high quality saws on sites where folks in your area "offer up" things for sale in roughly the same price range you're looking at. Many look to be in good condition, and are brands that are serviceable. Personally I would rather spend my money on a quality second hand saw than a new saw of questionable quality. Also, I will echo @Wrangellian when it comes to wearing a dust mask, and add safety glasses and hearing protection are a must. 

• I found this Informative 2

• JohnJ changed the title to Cement Saws for in situ fossils- Are they any good?

I have a stihl and it still works as good as the day it was purchased and I am not particularly gentle with it. My opinion they make the best gas saws in the world. Look for a used Stihl

772355986_Plateofcrinoids.thumb.jpg.6d5f2ebe896f90ac8ca577503102db0d.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Here mine. A Makita machine. Very strong and effective

Makita is right up there with Stihl.  A very good saw.  I have one, my youngest son has 3 Stihl's.  I will say though, the new Stihl my son bought is very compact compaired to my old Makita.

RB

• 2 months later...

I love mine. Had it several years now. I don't use it all the time because it sucks to lug around. Mine came with a water jug that sprays while you use it (well until you turn it off).

Here's where I got use from it and the saw.

20210720_121057.jpg

20210720_140039.jpg

20210720_141039.jpg

20210720_141434.jpg

20210720_141506.jpg

20210720_162529.jpg

20210720_162539.jpg

20210804_190812.jpg

20210720_141434.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Robert
Southeast, MO

• 4 months later...

I agree the Stihl saw is great and doesn't require the use of water.  I got mine used at a tool rental place.  Yeah, they are expensive, but allow you to extract specimens you would not other wise been able to bring home.  Get a diamond saw blade, a good respirator mask and hearing mufflers.  Cannot speak to the Mikita.  When I collected at Brechin CA before the quarries were closed to collectors, I would haul it, tools and specimens in my little red wagon....haha.

• 5 months later...

You may want to look at "rental supply companies" or Home Depot took rental to see if they have any used ones for sale.  I know Home Depot has told me in the past that they go through all of their rental tools they put up for sale, to make them as good as they can for the consumer.  Brand wise,  I would be looking for used Stihl, Hilti, or Makitta.  I do not think Hilti has ever made a bad tool.  Heavy yes, unrelieble no.   Just a couple of suggestions.  Best of luck and I wish I was in a place moneywise to even think about playing with the idea of getting one.  You might also look at some pawn shops.  I know it is a coin toss on what to expect, but you may get lucky.

Best of luck,

Bobo