Fossil hunting at or near Fort Hood military base in Central Texas

Creek - Don

Spent some time yesterday driving around Fort Hood military base area.   I didn't go inside the main base, but there were plenty of public roads and lands next to the base that were not fenced in or restricted.   I managed to find few spots that were exposed to the erosion.   Most fossils were bivalves,  gastropod and lots of broken oxytropidoceras ammos.   Due to nature of the preservation most Oxy's were broken. 

West Fort Hood in the background. 

Capture3.JPG

Road leading to Fort Hood gate. 

Capture 9.JPG

Exposed Walnut Formation surface. 

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Gryphaeas were everywhere! 

Capture 10.JPG

Capture 12.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture14.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Collection. 

Capture15.JPG

This is the biggest Oxy ammo I've ever found in Texas. It measures almost 13 inches.   

Capture17.JPG

Capture13.JPG

Edited by Creek - Don
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 8

No collecting on Hood...federal property.  Fair game outside the fence, with a great many exposures ripe for exploration.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Got the oxy ammo glued together using gorilla glue and holding well.  Anybody thinking these barnacle/oysters were these attached to the ammo before or after it died?  Seems just too big to be attached to the ammo while they were alive.  

barnacle.JPG

Barnacle2.JPG

Edited by Creek - Don
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 years later...

They most definitely attached to the shell after it had died.  Oysters will attach to anything solid that's stationary.  Also probably indicates low rates of sedimentation at that time, probably why the oxys had time to break up before being preserved.

• I found this Informative 3

On 12/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, Brazos Aaron said:

They most definitely attached to the shell after it had died.  Oysters will attach to anything solid that's stationary.  Also probably indicates low rates of sedimentation at that time, probably why the oxys had time to break up before being preserved.

Good to know. Thanks!