Mainefossils

I have a nice little gastropod in my collection, from my most recent trip to the Leighton formation. I am pretty certain that this is a Platyceras sp, such as the one shown in the plate below, figures 23 - 24.

1800415570_ScreenShot2021-08-02at5_50_58AM.thumb.png.96c4e49e43fff60f646d1bef67ce3e43.png

Boucot, A. J., Yochelson, E. L. (1966) Paleozoic Gastropoda from the Moose River Synclinorium, Northern Maine. Geological Survey Professional Paper, 503(A).

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0503a/report.pdf 

I do not believe that specimens such as these have been assigned to species as of yet, and would greatly appreciate to hear any insight on their taxonomy.

The lifestyle of these gastropods is pretty interesting. It is thought that they attached themselves to the anal plates of crinoids, to feed on their excrement. There is some debate, though, that instead this species was a suspension feeder, or was parasitic, boring holes in through the crinoid's shell. 

The picture below is of my specimen. The tip, unfortunately, broke off, but the rest of the specimen is intact, though it is laterally compressed. It is from the Leighton Formation, which is Pridoli, Silurian. 

Thanks for reading! :)

172685800_platycerassp..thumb.jpg.01b7761a8858bdaddf53f0e1c8ebfa74.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher