Dino teeth: Quality vs Size

carch_23

Hi everyone,

Got a question about people’s preferences on buying teeth. I recently purchased a suchomimus tooth and was in pretty good condition, however is quite on the smaller side (.8”). Though a few days later, I saw another sucho tooth but this one was larger in comparison (1.16”). But based on my eye, condition of the second tooth was not the best. By the way, teeth are both in the same price range, but the larger tooth was actually priced slightly less.

I have seen of people choosing quality over size due to a number of reasons eg.: better to ID species on the tooth, etc. Though if it was a rarer species, and condition on teeth from the species (and location) is known for them not having the best preservation, what do you guys think is preferred? 

Thanks for your input! 

Edited by carch_23

A picture is worth a thousand words and my eyes are tired. Please show us both.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

IMHO what is better associated with the species in question. For example, I'd choose big T. rex/sabercat teeth even if their preservation was not the best. BTW this question is indirectly discussed in this month's VFOM contest and atm quality seems to win vs size.

Edited by RuMert

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

A picture is worth a thousand words and my eyes are tired. Please show us both. 

Here they are hahaha. First 3 photos is the .8 inch.

Seller states that 1st tooth actually has complete enamel but is just a unusual darker colour and “has fine serrations present on both distal and mesial side”. Whereas 2nd tooth has “some olive brown enamel” and “remnants of serration”. 2FAD5A00-AA60-4214-86EF-B57409B36DE7.thumb.jpeg.0b4d4404d471cb0c5e0d5267729336e3.jpeg6E9622B6-732E-4DA6-8E49-A0E35DCA838F.thumb.jpeg.0190341a0daa32771866d3b3710c6625.jpeg6C66B91D-6405-4356-B622-E59C13ACA736.thumb.jpeg.f21a14a290f83e1529b756d09a87c952.jpeg

480B712D-4D71-43C2-9B1D-A81E1AB74A43.jpeg

C7928803-DFD3-43D0-8490-203B673C5158.jpeg

BE63F630-9B02-441C-9835-2430A1AFA4A4.jpeg

Edited by carch_23

20 minutes ago, RuMert said:

IMHO what is better associated with the species in question. For example, I'd choose big T. rex/sabercat teeth even if their preservation was not the best. BTW this question is indirectly discussed in this month's VFOM contest and atm quality seems to win vs size.

Yea I agree with the Trex example. I should take a look at that VFOM lol. Where in this species’ case, teeth from suspecting suchomimus are usually sarchosuchus, unless otherwise proven to be suchomimus, (based on what I see here in the forum). Where teeth of suchomimus have quite minute but detailed characteristics that make them differ. Eg: enamel texture, presence of serrations and ridges etc. Though, the bigger tooth does have those characteristics, i just think theyre a bit less prominent (also based on seller’s description of the 2 teeth and pricing- where 1st tooth is priced slightly more)

Edited by carch_23

I think there's a lot of aspects involved in answering this question, not least of which are personal preference and budgetary constraints. For, in the end, if not buying for sake of investment, you'll buy what appeals to you and what fits within your budget. It also depends on what is available, as this will limit your choices: as you said, would you still go for the larger tooth if you can get a better quality but smaller one for a location that normally yields poor quality specimens? I'd personally go for the better quality one in that case, as this seems to be rarer. Which brings us to the introduction of rarity into the mix :P All the same, though, so people don't care about rarity, preservation or size and will just want to get what best matches their idea of the fossil. For predator teeth this may be the largest, most dangerous looking teeth, whereas others may actually prefer the better preservation so that a more accurate determination can be made of the species involved (which is, itself, a factor of the locality where the fossil was found and may thus not be required).

My personal preference is quality over size, though, but I'll typically try to acquire size secondarily as well, once I've got quality. If I can get both in one - which is rare - I'll go for that, if it fits within my budget...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

42 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I think there's a lot of aspects involved in answering this question, not least of which are personal preference and budgetary constraints. For, in the end, if not buying for sake of investment, you'll buy what appeals to you and what fits within your budget. It also depends on what is available, as this will limit your choices: as you said, would you still go for the larger tooth if you can get a better quality but smaller one for a location that normally yields poor quality specimens? I'd personally go for the better quality one in that case, as this seems to be rarer. Which brings us to the introduction of rarity into the mix :P All the same, though, so people don't care about rarity, preservation or size and will just want to get what best matches their idea of the fossil. For predator teeth this may be the largest, most dangerous looking teeth, whereas others may actually prefer the better preservation so that a more accurate determination can be made of the species involved (which is, itself, a factor of the locality where the fossil was found and may thus not be required).

My personal preference is quality over size, though, but I'll typically try to acquire size secondarily as well, once I've got quality. If I can get both in one - which is rare - I'll go for that, if it fits within my budget...

Thanks so much for that detailed response!

In regards to “...whereas others may actually prefer the better preservation so that a more accurate determination can be made of the species involved (which is, itself, a factor of the locality where the fossil was found and may thus not be required).”, based on what ive read here on the forum’s “suchomimus vs sarchosuchus” threads, a lot have difficulty with distinguishing between the two, due to the location and the teeth themselves having not much written stuff published. As I myself wouldnt want to be having second thoughts of the tooth actually being something different of what I want it to be. 

Oh and based on online shops (and experience, until recently they started popping up out of nowhere), were considered “rare” teeth. 

And in regards to the “predator teeth”, I also would get one with more repairs (and maybe even a tiny bit of restoration) if it were a large T rex that is within my budget, than one that is smaller and better preserved. Though with Suchomimus, it is a theropod so i guess it can go under “predator tooth”. But with the teeth being challenging to ID if not for good preservation, I guess it also depends on the teeth in question. 

So yea, i guess its a case by case thing depending on species and/ or personal preference. 

Thanks for your input!

Edited by carch_23

I never understand this question, and it seems to be asked a lot. Just buy what appeals to you most. Silly to buy things based on the preferences of others.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, connorp said:

I never understand this question, and it seems to be asked a lot. Just buy what appeals to you most. Silly to buy things based on the preferences of others.

I fully agree. Buying based on the preference of others, in my opinion, only makes sense if you buy the fossil as an investment. Because then your potential market becomes an important consideration for resale. But otherwise, just got with what appeals to you most...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I'll take quality over size any time on most teeth.   They are easier to identify and makes selling / trading easier when the time comes.  Remember poor quality will be thrown back at you at that time. Higher Q teeth also appear to appreciate higher in value.

Acquiring rare teeth takes a completely a different approach.  The first question that you need to address is which ones are rare?  

To me a Suchomimus tooth is not rare so its definitely Q over Size.   Rare are those that do you do not often see sold on the open market.  Size is typically not an issue because by definition its rare so you will not have many other options.  Quality on these is not as important but it needs to be good enough to see key characteristics for identification.  For example a meglosaurid tooth must have all the mesial carina visible.  Provenance is also essential and my number 1 in must have info.

Remember sellers are typically clueless in identifying teeth especially rare ones so you cannot trust what you are told.   

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Hi @Troodon. Thanks for your insight! Really appreciate it. And i think i may also have selling/ trading in the back of my head as well for “upgrading”. I also wanted to ask this question to have an understanding of what teeth people found quality or size was important, as I find it just helps me narrow down choices and assists with my decision. 

And I actually also read an old thread of someone asking “types of rare teeth available for sale?” and then you just pulled out your dilophosaurus tooth. And if you consider that as rare, i consider that unattainable. Basically im just not on your level yet collecting wise. 

So with this species, based on the photos here, would it be safe to say that the 2nd tooth would also be suchomimus and that it does have enough key characteristics to ID it? 

And if size isnt an issue on these teeth, may I ask what you would go with between the two? 

Edited by carch_23

45 minutes ago, connorp said:

I think Im considering other peoples preferences (soecifically on these teeth) is because based on what ive read, I just find that the less quality suchomimus teeth are, the harder it is too fully ID it as the species. Which I personally dont feel comfortable with after purchasing it as what I thought it was. So if I did buy something big with unsure ID, as someone not deep in collecting yet, Id rather not. 

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, carch_23 said:

I think Im considering other peoples preferences (soecifically on these teeth) is because based on what ive read, I just find that the less quality suchomimus teeth are, the harder it is too fully ID it as the species. Which I personally dont feel comfortable with after purchasing it as what I thought it was. So if I did buy something big with unsure ID, as someone not deep in collecting yet, Id rather not.

I think that's indeed the proper take-away of all this, even for the more experienced collector ;)

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, carch_23 said:

So with this species, based on the photos here, would it be safe to say that the 2nd tooth would also be suchomimus and that it does have enough key characteristics to ID it? 

And if size isnt an issue on these teeth, may I ask what you would go with between the two

The tooth is most likely Suchomimus but the key characteristics that identifies these teeth is serrations.  So here quality/preservation is an issue now but will be again if you try to upgrade it fown the road 

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

The tooth is most likely Suchomimus but the key characteristics that identifies these teeth is serrations.  So here quality/preservation is an issue now but will be again if you try to upgrade it fown the road 

Awesome! Thanks for that 

And everyone else who contributed, thanks too! 

Fun discussion topic!  for me both size and quality are important. i would pass on specimens that have good size but lack in quality or specimens that have good quality but small size and save up money waiting for specimen that have both quality and size ( tho that rarely appear on the market right? lol)

cheers

Guns

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Fun discussion topic!  for me both size and quality are important. i would pass on specimens that have good size but lack in quality or specimens that have good quality but small size and save up money waiting for specimen that have both quality and size ( tho that rarely appear on the market right? lol)

cheers

Guns

Thanks for that! Thats also another very wise idea! I stand by that mindset on T rex teeth as I personally would like to save even a few grand for my ideal tooth, rather than one with a missing tip or just a tip, but thats just me. And as I journey to save for my ideal rexy tooth, I decided to stick to a maximum budget of a few hundred for a tooth that catches my eye that wasnt a rex, hence my Q&A. :) 

And just to clarify (if there was even any confusion) I dont really see anything wrong asking about other peoples preferences to help with someone's decision.  Both teeth actually appeal to me and find both attractive. And because my price range only allows for either one (good quality with better ID or size), then I must make a decision. And to help me, I just wanted to see what you guys prefer :) 

Edited by carch_23