Oreodont question

fossilhunter21

So I am thinking about getting an unprepared oreodont skull. But I was wondering how hard it is to prepare one and if I should buy something less expensive to work on? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Ps. I have a little bitt of experience with preparing fossils.

That’s a question with many answers. I’ve done a couple skulls and they can be great fun or very frustrating. But I really love doing them one and all. The matrix on them will vary from soft, sweet, and easy to hard, sticky, and tough and everything in between. The skulls themselves can be nice clean and hard to fragile as eggs. I use a dremel engraver, a dremel rotary tool, some picks, exacto knifes, brushes, tooth brushes, and the like. As to the should you try something less expensive to practice on first question that depends on what do you mean by a little bit of experience. What have you done so far? I wouldn’t jump right into it unless you found a cheap partial to practice on. I wouldn’t jump into a high quality skull to begin with until you’re confident that you wouldn’t do something you shouldn’t. Yes there will be breakages and glue will be your best friend LOL! I was once given a skull from someone who tried one above his skill and shattered it into 5 pieces and while I was able to piece it mostly back together he turned a higher quality skull into a mediocre piece. It Broke my heart becuase it turned out so be a sespia natida skull wich is less common then the leptauchenia skull they thought it was. But if he hadn’t of broken it he would never of given it to me so….. whatever you decide go slow, keep the glue handy and be patient and careful. Trying to hurry is what causes problems. Also learn the anatomy of the skulls so if you see pictures you can make a more informed purchase and it will help you in your prepping. Most pictures you will receive will have just pieces of bone showing so a little knowledge will help you determine what may or may not be missing.and as always feel free to post pictures of ones you’re thinking about or prepping questions here! We will try our best to help!

My basic prepping tools. I’ve added several different  picks since this picture was taken

3633DD34-6462-4401-A58A-348FC139200E.jpeg

Edited by Randyw
Editing picture
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks for your response @Randyw:)

If anyone has a prepared upper skull I would really like to see how you are displaying it. And I was wondering how much matrix I should remove if I buy an unprepared upper skull? 

Ps. I've only prepped two fossils, both of them were GRF fish.

Thanks!

Edited by fossilhunter21

@Randyw has provided excellent info. Here is my account of a prep using simple tools. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Here is my account of a prep using simple tools. Good luck, have fun.

Thanks! :)

So is it possible to prep an oreodont with just a pin vice with a sewing pin? Or should I definitely get an engraver?

Thanks! :)

To be honest I started with a sharp pick and I still use picks for the close in work but an electric engraver makes all the difference. I use the engraver for bulk removal and the picks for when I get close to the bones. It’ll speed up your prep 10-100 times faster. Your matrix will also make a difference. For the hard matrix it’s almost a must.

• 1 month later...

So I am thinking about getting this skull, and was wondering what you think about it. The seller says that the remaining skull pieces and rock are included. 

20210929_210637.jpg

20210929_210329.jpg

20210929_210449.jpg

20210929_210422.jpg

20210929_210612.jpg

20210929_210529.jpg

So here is one skulls that I am looking at:  A Leptauchenia skull from the the White River Formation of Pennington County, South Dakota. 

Screenshot_20211004-150036_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150047_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150118_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150127_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150145_Gallery.jpg

Ps. The skull that I posted before this one is from a Merycoidodon Culbertsoni (I don't know if I spelled that right)

Edited by fossilhunter21
Removed seller commentary

And this one:

This is a Leptauchenia skull from the White River Formation of Pennington County, South Dakota. 

Screenshot_20211004-145815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-145835_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-145901_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-145909_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-145917_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-145951_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150004_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-150019_Gallery.jpg

Edited by fossilhunter21
Removed seller description

@fossilhunter21

Please do not post dealer descriptions, per Forum guidelines.  Thanks.  ;)

(Posts edited)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

These look like nice little specimens.  You might want to start out with a lousier (and smaller) specimen to practice your prep work on, such a just a lower jaw in a rock.  

Both skulls have significant portions missing. The first leptauchenia has the better lower jaw but im concerned about how much upper is missing. The second has more of the rear of the skull but the front concerns me. Ill buy and prep just about anything but the price would have to be right for me to jump on these. And by priced right i mean itd have to be on the lower end….